Self-drive throughout S.A.

Dec 17th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Self-drive throughout S.A.

In connection with an upcoming two-week trip in February, I would like to self-drive beginning in Capetown, then east along the Garden Route, then northeast along the eastern side of the Drakensberg Mountains (i.e., East of Lesotho to Sani Pass then up to Cathedral Peak), then north to Johannesburg, and then northwest to the Madikwe Game Reserve. I recognize this is a lot of driving, but can anyone give me an estimate of the actual distance and the quality of the roads? While I could fly from Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg, I'd miss the experience of driving through the Drakensberg. Which, in your opinion, is preferable: flying from PE to JB and reducing the amount of driving time, or experiencing the Drakensberg? Or is there someone out there who knows of a way to do some of both? Thanks.
Dec 17th, 2003, 08:22 AM

I vote to skip the Drakensbergs and take more time along the garden route and Madikwe. The roads are just ok but very curvaceous. ( I was trying to spell windy and gave up) To gaze at the mountains is not worth all that driving. I drove from Joberg to Durban last summer.

Search this Thread