Deception Valley Bushmen interactions questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at Deception valley, instead of Jacks/San, in part because the "Bushmen experience" sounds really interesting. Is it respectfully done? My fear is that we all stand and stare at these poor folks. If it is done well, it could be fascinating and a great learning experience.

Also, are there meerkat there?
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:04 PM

I enjoyed my bushmen experience at Jack's a few years ago.....it was an entire morning event. It was a great trip....

I haven't been to Deception Valley, so can't compare.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:02 PM

Momliz: the Deception Valley Lodge bushmen experience is exceptional and very well done! The owner of the lodge grew up in proximity to bushmen and has a great commitment to them. Unlike some lodges where you may visit a community as a tourist experience the bushmen are integrated into the camp as employees. Your tracker for all drives is a bushmen and he will lead your walk along with another bushmen. Out of respect for the bushmen nomadic lifestyle they can come and go as they please working when they want to, but as it is good employment there are always some men working -- much preferred by them to living in their resettlement village outside of the Kalahari that they love.

The guides and management clearly have a tremendous admiration for the bushmen and their way of life, at times I would say my guide was even in awe of them as was I -- and this guide was the best I have ever had and yet he felt humbled by the bushmen way of life.

Interestingly, the bushman working as our tracker (Rouse) was very nice but shy and reserved wearing a ski cap and jacket, etc. When it was time for the walk he and another bushmen Cassie changed into their traditional clothes -- gallops (wrap around that just covers the essentials) and bushmen sandals (the first shoes invented/used by humans). At this point Rouse became very animated and comfortable. But not because it was for a show, what our guide Adriaan said to me and Rouse later intimated was that the traditional bushmen way of life is almost completely gone and these 'first people' are extremely proud and honored to share these traditions with interested people -- they sadly realize that this will soon be the only way it continues to exist. Thus the walk is not a contrived tourist experience or their sole job to do, but rather an impassioned teaching of lessons that our ancestors long forgot as they left Africa behind thousands of years ago.

The actual walk contains a few constant elements that are important to share with guests such as how to find water and make fire with sticks and you are able to partake of these experiences rather than just observe. However, an interesting element of the walk is they will just talk to one another in their click language and they choose to stop and share whatever they feel like on that day and it differs based on what they are seeing or feeling at that time. Walking in the bush with them is like walking through your own living room with you in that they know what every single thing is and what it can be used for so the raw material they have to share from is almost limitless.

More to the point of your question -- yes it is done with great respect and it is the participants wish to do it. It is certainly fascinating and a tremendous learning experience! In fact I doubt that there is a more compelling people to learn about and from than the original people that we all descended from. Hope that's not too much of a rant but consider that I am a wildlife guy all the way and culture comes in a distant second to guage how touched I was by the presence of the bushmen.

Unfortunately, unless something has changed there are no meerkats at Deception Valley Lodge. However, if you do the full day drive into the Central Kalahari Game Reserve there may possibly be meerkats there (of course they won't be habituated like the ones that Jack's Camp visits) although they won't be guaranteed -- if that is critical you should enquire to see if they are often spotted in the reserve or not.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the detailed answer, PB! I guess I will trade meerkats for bushmen, and it will be a good trade. I am looking forward to the trip even more!!

Hope young PB and you all are doing well, BTW.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:29 PM

Momliz: pleasure to help on this. Not many people on this board seem to have made it to Deception Valley Lodge. It is one of my favorite camps and I'm anxious to return. It will be a great choice for you and your boys will almost certainly be impressed by the bushmen and have an experience to treasure for the rest of their lives.

Young Leo is doing fantastic, in fact he was wearing a safari outfit just last week along with a big smile. Thanks for your well wishes!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:30 PM

Oops -- forgot to post that I would recommend that you request Adriaan for a guide. Other guides there could be great too but Adriaan is truly exceptional.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

will do - thnx!