Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   self-catering in Cape Town (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/self-catering-in-cape-town-291396/)

Celia Feb 22nd, 2003 08:18 AM

self-catering in Cape Town

We are looking at the Ambassador, a self- catering place in Sea Point, for a 3-day stay this May. Does anyone have experience with this place? Or can anyone tell us about the area? (We stayed in Greenpoint on our last trip to Cape Town, and were disappointed with the general seediness of the area.)<BR><BR>Thanks!

Waverley Feb 24th, 2003 03:45 AM

The Ambassador is in in Bantry Bay, a beautiful, safe and windfree suburb between Sea Point and Clifton.There are 2 parts to the hotel. The main hotel is right on the beachfront and the flats/apartments are in building across Beach Road. As the land is elevated at that point, they have a beautiful view of the ocean. I have a relative who stays there a lot and I will ask her for details. I will also be in Cape Town at the end of next week and will be spending a lot of time at the Ambassador pool and restaurant with this relative. If you want I can ask to see the apartents and get back to you at the end of next week.<BR><BR>From what I remember, the Ambassador is quite upscale.

Celia Feb 24th, 2003 10:37 AM

Actually, the name is Ambassador Court Apartments, so I don't think it's the place in Bantry Bay. The address is London Road, Sea Point. I found it through the web site of the All Cape Accommodation Guide. The apartment that seemed most appealing is the 7th-floor penthouse.<BR><BR>If you could take a look at it, Selwyn, that would be wonderful!<BR><BR>Thanks so much to both of you.

NurseSkip Mar 1st, 2003 02:40 AM

I stayed at a self-catering place on London Road in Sea Point in January, 2003 (not the Ambassador, but Oceantide). The street is a small connector between the two main roads in Sea Point (Beach and Main). It's only what I would consider to be about 1-2 blocks long.<BR><BR>The &quot;beach&quot; end of London Road leads to a long grassy promenade along the oceanfront, where a lot of people were jogging and a few families were picnicking. A few homeless people about, but nothing dangerous in my opinion. It reminded me of Santa Monica in California.<BR><BR>The Main Road end of London Road is the &quot;seedier&quot; end, although I rather enjoyed seeing the drama going on all around me. There is a Debonair's Pizza Parlor on the corner, and quite a lot of streetfront shops (e.g. barbershops, fast food joints, grocery stores). Even a kosher butcher a half block away. Quite a sight to see men getting out of synagogue dressed up in yarmulkes in South Africa, of all places.<BR><BR>The Hotel Vendome is on London Road also, so the security tended to be very good, with two security guards at the street entrance to that hotel at all times.<BR><BR>But I can't imagine it would be that different from GreenPoint, where you said you were disappointed with the surrounding. More shops, but not far enough away to make a difference.<BR><BR>To me, it was fascinating.

Celia Mar 3rd, 2003 01:04 PM

We've decided on a place in Camps Bay. We've never stayed there before, so we thought we'd give it a try this time.<BR><BR>Thanks for all this helpful information!

Waverley Mar 3rd, 2003 03:11 PM

Celia, Camps Bay is a great location. Just as a matter of interest, which place?

Celia Mar 5th, 2003 08:23 AM

Well, actually, the Camps Bay place (called Palm Beach, I think) is out too. They're a small family-owned operation, and don't take credit cards.<BR><BR>So we're still looking.<BR><BR>Celia

Celia Mar 6th, 2003 10:57 AM

Thank you, Selwyn!<BR><BR>Here's our whole itinerary, in a general way. (Not all of it is set in stone yet.)<BR>We, my husband and I, arrive in Jo'burg on May 7, and spend the night at the Sandton Park Plaza. The next day, we fly to Namibia, stay in Windhoek overnight, then go to Sossusvlei for 2 days at Namib Naukluft Lodge. Then back to Windhoek, then the following morning we drive up to Etosha National Park. We are staying a couple of nights inside the park at Halali camp, and 2 nights at the private camp Aoba. We then drive back to Windhoek, stay overnight, and fly to Cape Town on 17 May.<BR><BR>We want to stay in Cape Town two nights, the Saturday and Sunday 17-18 May, and leave on the 19th for a few days in the winelands and the Little Karoo before reaching Addo Elephant Park where we're staying in a bungalow in the park for two days 23 &amp; 24 May. Then on the 25th we fly to Jo'burg, and then to London and then home to the US.<BR><BR>We have no particular reason for looking at self-catering places, other than we've enjoyed them on previous visits to SA. But we have thoroughly enjoyed ourseves at B&amp;B's too. I think we want to stay in the price range of about R500 for two. Neighborhoods that appeal to us are Gardens and Sea Point, but we are flexible. We'll have a car, so we can get around easily. <BR><BR>We'd love any suggestions you have for us! If you don't want to reply here, my e-mail address is [email protected].<BR><BR>Celia<BR><BR>

Selwyn_Davidowitz Mar 6th, 2003 02:15 PM

Hi Celia,<BR><BR>OK now I am getting a better idea of your situation.<BR><BR>My suggestions would be as folows:<BR><BR>B &amp; B's<BR>-------<BR><BR>Welgelegen Guesthouse<BR>---------------------<BR>Lanie's guesthouse is well positioned. Rooms are well fitted out and wow does she make a stunning breakfast.<BR>http://www.welgelegen.co.za/<BR><BR><BR>Redbourne Hilldrop<BR>------------------<BR>Sharon and Johnnie have a marvellous guesthouse where nothing is too much for this couple to ensure that their guests are happy. Great value for money and a very unique way to enjoy breakfast. You have to be in the guesthouse to understand why I say this. (-:)<BR>http://www.redbourne.co.za/<BR><BR><BR>Bluegumhill<BR>-----------<BR>Aissa Parenti's guesthouse must have one of the best views in the city. Very friendly and helpful staff. You will need a car in terms of location. Excellent value for money.<BR>www.bluegumhill.co.za<BR><BR>Avanti<BR>------<BR><BR>Great location. Mari and Johan are 2 of the most friendly hosts that you will find. Fall out of bed and walk on the seas edge because that how close you are to the sea. Good value for money.<BR>http://www.avanti.co.za/<BR><BR>Celia if you are still looking for self catering may I suggest that you go to http://www.aatravel.co.za/ where you can do a comprehensive search on all self catering functions in SA as well as Cape Town.<BR><BR>A pretty good self catering establishment is Houtkapperspoort. The houses are similar to what you will find in Addo. They are comfortable and are placed in a very tranquil setting. The venue is close to Hout Bay and if you have a car this should present no problem.<BR>http://www.houtkapperspoort.co.za/<BR><BR>OK the above should set you on the right path. Let me know how you progress.<BR><BR>Hope this all helps.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>[email protected]<BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Celia Mar 7th, 2003 06:59 AM

Selwyn, I took a quick look at those web sites -- the only problem is to decide which! What great looking places. Thanks so much!<BR><BR>Celia

Celia Mar 10th, 2003 08:18 AM

We've booked into Avanti guest house. Thanks, Selwyn! I mentioned your name when we booked.<BR><BR>Now that almost all our plans are solidified, I just can't wait to go!

Gillcmorris Jul 9th, 2003 12:42 PM

NurseSkip, I realise this thread was a while back but just in case your still around, how were the Oceantide Apts? I'm due to stay for 3 weeks at the end of December this year. I was a little worried to read about the seedy side of Sea Point, did you ever feel in any danger? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Gillian

lflower Jul 9th, 2003 05:13 PM

Hello All and Selwyn!

We are looking for a very nice house or cottage to rent outside of Capetown for at least 2 weeks on a return holiday to SA in Feb. 2004. We will be returning from a holiday in Namibia and are seeking a special place to relax. Good food shops and golfing nearby would be helpful. There are tons of houses, but they seem to be to large for 2 persons.
Thank you,

Sara

traci_local_in_sa Jul 9th, 2003 10:46 PM

Hi Sara
It's unlikely that you will find a house in Cape Town for only 2 people, and will probably have to go with an apartment. Go to the AA website (www.aatravel.co.za), there is an accommodation search function which allows you to specify your requirements.

lflower Jul 12th, 2003 12:51 PM

Traci,
Thank you for the website. Am going to check it out this weekend. And to Selwyn, I was hoping that you would see my post.
It is just the two of us so therefore the cottage idea. But, we are very willing to spend more for a house with several bedrooms if necessary. What we are looking for is the following:
We would prefer to be in the suburbs - preferably Constantia, Clemont etc.. away from the noise of the city but close enough to shops and golf. A pool is not a must but would be nice. A lovely garden and view also. Security would be another issue.
Your idea of a cottage that is part of a guest house property is also an idea.
I have tried unsucessfully contacting Pam Golding Real Estate via email. Up to now, they have not responded.
Any help from your end would be greatly appreciated. As to price, I am going on US prices. We are very opened minded as long as we find what we are looking for.
Thank you again,

Sara

Selwyn_Davidowitz Jul 12th, 2003 03:36 PM

Sara,

Please go take a look at Glen Avon Country Lodge.

http://www.glenavon.co.za/

http://www.goodcooks.co.za/glenavon.htm

Wonderful accommodation - Rooms are not self standing cottages however one feels as if you are staying in a cottage when you stay at Glen Avon

Well located in Constantia

Right next to Steenberg Golf Course

Quiet and tranquil

Fabulous hosts

Great cuisine at guesthouse

Wonderful garden

Swimming pool

NOT SELF CATERING but I am sure that Wendy (host) will aid you in this regard.

Close to many good restaurants

Close to Constantia Shopping Centre

Well priced.

If this does not suit then let me know and I will make other suggestions however I have to stress that Glen Avon IS a wonderful relaxing place to enjoy a quiet stay in Cape Town.

Hope this helps

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r)) nation of South Africa

NurseSkip Oct 3rd, 2003 05:13 AM

Gillian,

sorry that I haven't looked at this thread for many months, but I was very pleased with Oceantide, and as a matter of fact would willingly return there at any time.

The owners, A.G. and John were extremely nice and I rather enjoyed the small swimming pool located in the courtyard of the facility. I never saw anyone else swimming there except for me, though. The property is immaculate and they have emailed me since my stay there wishing me well.

E-mail me at [email protected] and put Cape Town in the subject line, if you get this message and still want any information about Sea Point, Oceantide or Cape Town in general. Same applies for anyone else who want to pick my brain.

A quick answer to your question is, that I didn't really feel unsafe walking around at all. The Main Road area of Sea Point is where all the shops and restaurants are. It's a real slice of life and lots of tourists are walking up and down the street with locals anyway.

We rented a car, but I saw some tourists getting on the minibuses.