Reload this Page >

Seeking opinions Africa vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 08:45 PM
Jeff Meyer

First time to Africa and am seeking opinions about the best places to visit in August. Also am wondering if anyone knows anything about these ads that claim 60% discount on first class tickets. Since I am traveling from Los Angeles, I figure the amount of air time necessitates first class travel. Thanks for your help.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 02:31 AM
EDWIN GILHAM

Cant help you with the airfares - but Delta should be able to help you. <BR>See the website www.railcruisesa.co.za <BR>it should give you some info on what you can do.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 06:41 AM
Jeff

How about more details. Where? For how long? With a group or endependently? What are your interests? First class is soooo expensive. We save money and make long flights acceptable by staying in in Amsterdam for two nights before flying to Tanzania or Kenya and one night after our trip. It is much cheaper when we buy two separate tickets one RT to Amsterdam. And another RT Amsterdam to Nairobi or Kilimanjaro. But maybe you have in mind Egypt or Tunisia or another country. Be specific. We are traveling from Santa Barbara, CA

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 03:52 PM
bobby grace

We are going to Kenya March 16th from San Francisco, will go British Air Via London which is what you will probably do or Amsterdam to Nairobi. We get to London at noon and have a hotel room until our flight leaves for Nairobi at 11:00 pm. If you are flying first class it will cost you big bucks, if you don't mind thats great. Most people had rather put the money into the trip itself. Its about a 10 and 10 ride for each leg. Check out Go Ahead Vacations web site. We are taking the African Safari. Good price and we have traveled with them twice before to Europe and they take good care of us. This is our first time to Africa and I had done lots of research and feel like I know almost too much. Some things are better if you don't know about them, you know what I mean? Do alot of research and enjoy it, its part of the fun. I have some good web sites if you would like them let me know. Happy travels, bobby grace (buck)

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 10:24 AM
betinha

Be sure you have a yellow fever shot if you go to Kenya and then decide to visit South Africa. Nobody told me this & I ended up having to take a shot in a small dark room in Johannesburg airport. That's not where you want to be having a needle stuck in your arm

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 06:44 PM
Daniel

I would combine Botswana, Zimbabwe and SA.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 08:31 AM
Rudy

Several years ago I would have put Zimbabwe at the top of the list. At present,however, I would avoid it. It is in political turmoil with an increasingly repressive ruling government, and outbreaks of lawlessness. International aid to Zimbabwe has almost stopped, and industry and agriculture have been hampered by the govenment's actions. Because of the lack of foreign confidence and currency, there is a severe fuel shortage, and electrical power has at times been curtailed. I know this sounds like a political diatribe, but I worked in this country in the '70s. It's beautiful, and the average Zimbabweans are warm and wonderful people. I always wanted to return. But not now.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 12:44 PM
Anthony

To answer your questions on how fares get so low (the 60% off): <BR> <BR>Airlines distribute some fares directly to the public (through their web site and marketing) and indirectly through large ticket wholesalers, known as consolidators. <BR> <BR>Then you'll find people who aggregate these reseller fares and sell them to you (where the 60% off the PUBLISHED 'retail price' comes from! <BR> <BR>The site that aggregates all the largest consolidators, visit www.foraticket.com instead of trying to find them individually or dealing with a small cross-section of them. <BR> <BR>So the deals are valid and are legitimate, just have to find availability for them! <BR> <BR>FYI

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 01:29 PM
jeffmeyer

went with Sue's Safaris out of Calif. Excellent. They will help you design trip. Chose Botswana, South Africa and Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls just 2 days). Can't say enough about the trip. Went in June, a bit chilly but no forestation so animal viewing was better. There's a book that describes all the countries and was helpful. Think the author was Nick Nolte. helen

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 02:49 AM
Christine

Hi Jeff <BR>South Africa is definitely worth a visit. Some of the must-sees are; Kruger National Park, Northern Kwazulu Natal, the Garden Route and the Wine Route. You will be visiting in the whaling season!! On vacation in the Western Cape last year September we saw whales all along the coast (Tsitsikamma, Arniston, Harkerville near Knysna). It was absolutely awe-inspiring. Please do not be put off by the negative reporting about crime, be careful and aware and do not walk around non-tourist areas at night. Just give me a shout should you need any more info re SA, Zim or Mozambique.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 07:35 PM
andy gerry

Hey there, just a travel tip to add to your arsenal. www.foraticket.com saved me over $300 on a roundtrip to Germany. A couple of my friends have bought tickets thru this site and I gave it a try and it was all pretty easy. I had a great time and they even saved me $$ on a rental car , have fun, Andy in socal