Search

Africian Safari

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Africian Safari

Hi all, I am planning to travel to Africa in mid December 05 or Jan 06, flying into J'Brug. I would like to see the Okavango Delta, Chobe and Vic Falls but have a limited budget ( approx. AUD$1800) and limited time (about 10 days). I have reservations about the Delta due to the time of year. What about the lodges in Zimbabwe - is it safe at the moment. Makalolo Plains in Hwange has been suggested - any thoughts? This is my first trip to Africa so any help would be much appreciated. I'm happy to do the camping thing but am there to see the wildlife and experience the culture not to focus solely on the local beverages if you get my drift.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 08:43 AM

I just returned from Makalolo Plains in Hwange. I had a wonderful time and would highly recommend it. I was in Zimbabwe for 10 days and never felt unsafe. The political situation does not seem to effect the tourist areas at all. You can check out my trip report, it is still in the top 50 on the side.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Also, you can check out my photos from Hwange. It is the thread titled "trip photos - Zimbabwe Sept 2005"
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks beept, I've looked at your photos and they are great, very inspiring. I can't wait to get there now. At this stage I'm working on two nights at Makalolo, 2 nights at Chobe Game Lodge and a couple of nights in Livingstone or Vic Falls. At that time of year, with the heat and humidity, I think I would be more comfortable spending a bit more money and staying at lodges rather than doing the backpacker type overland tours.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

That would be AFRICAN safari then! Perhaps I should learn to spell it probably before hitting their shores.