Would you go on safari in April?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering going on a safari in Tanzania at the beginning of April. Will we be "rained out" ?
Will we find roads washed away and lodges closed? What are the possibilities of seeing animals at this time. Should we just forget it? Thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Focus on the central Serengeti and you will have a great time. It will be beautiful and green everywhere.

Rain can be heavy at times. The roads in and out of Ngorongoro will be very slippery. If you catch a weather break, go down to the crater.

Once past that you will be OK as long as you stick to the main roads to Seronera in the central Serengeti.

Forget about tented camps and such. Stay at the Sopa or Serena or Wildlife lodge. During breaks in the weather you can dart down towards Ndutu via Simba kopjes or even (maybe) try to get down to Moru kopjes to try and spot the migration.

A lightweight 4WD is what you will need. Be prepared to get stuck and hopefully your outfiiter with have a few vehicles in the vicinity to assist each other.

A great adventure, excellent wildlife and fewer people to share with but nowadays Tanzania is popular even in off-season!
Eben
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:14 PM

I was on safari at the VERY beginning of April in the Mara last year and we had marvellous sunny weather all day every day and heavy rain overnight on at least two of the nights...

Anecdotal of course since I have no idea whether this is typical or atypical for the season but it was marvellous!
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:16 PM

My husband and I were in Kenya/Tanz for safari in mid-April 2002. I worried a great deal about rain, but though there were one or two thunderstorms (they last a very short time).. we certainly didn't get rained out! I would definately go again in April!
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies, most helpful! I think that we are going to go ahead with our plans. Should we wait until we get there before booking with a tour operator? Any recommendations for a safe reliable one?
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 04:27 AM

Excellent!

No, don't wait! Accommodation is limited due to closings in the rainy season so book ahead. Tanzania is busy throughout the year as you can see from the postings above! Many people visit during the rainy season thanks to low-season discounts.

The main problem during the rainy season is not really the rains. As others noted, rain is in the form of heavy downpours that may last only a few minutes.

The problem is ground saturation after several days of downpours and black mud that cause many roads to become impassable. But the wildlife is plenty and the vast green plains are very scenic. It is a special time to visit the great Serengeti!