Security or Lack Thereof at SA Airports

Feb 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Security or Lack Thereof at SA Airports

This story about the security of aircraft:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200702110022.html

brought to mind our experience at JNB in December. We were departing and before we reached the security point my wife handed me my ticket and passport. We passed through ok and then we were subjected to two more checks as we proceeded towards the gate. As I went to hand my passport back to my wife, I happened to glance at it and it was her passport. We look nothing alike and have different last names so the names on the tickets did not match the passports. So we each went through three check points (separately) with the wrong ID.

I mentioned this to some BA supervisors at Heathrow and they told me that they knew how bad airport security was in SA and considered BA employees to be doing the real checking.
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:22 PM

I passed through JNB several times on a trip this last fall. Security was very efficient and more sensible than here in the US, kind of like in Europe.

When my daughter flew from the US to Delhi via Paris last year they accepted her boarding pass for paris-delhi in the us and they took her boarding pass for us-paris in paris for the flight to delhi. so, this can happen anywhere.
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

I seriously doubt two people could each go through 3 security checks with passports for the opposite sex with the wrong names anywhere. As the article says, BA has had to use private security at only a few airports worldwide.
Feb 11th, 2007, 08:26 PM

At Virgin our bags were shrink wrapped becuse of security concerns relating to the construction at Joburg airport (OR Tambo).
Feb 15th, 2007, 08:11 AM

there is construction at JNB, now Tambo, but it should not interfere with your travel. it is just like at any other airport - not to worry, imo
Bonnie