Security of credit card bookings for SA/Swaziland

Dec 18th, 2002, 06:01 AM
hanl

Security of credit card bookings for SA/Swaziland

I'm currently in the process of booking accommodation for a 12 night stay in South Africa and Swaziland. Several of the hotels/lodges I have contacted require a 50% deposit to be paid in order to secure a reservation (nothing odd about that).

However, the only methods available for payment are either by bank transfer or credit card (with no secure Internet reservation facility). The first option is not really viable as international bank transfers tend to be expensive. So I'm left with the second option. Does anyone have experience transmitting their credit card details to reserve accommodation? Would it be safe to fax my card details, or should I email them (breaking the cardholder details/number into 2 or 3 separate email messages for security). I don't like transmitting credit card details in this way but it seems to be the only way to make reservations!! Any advice would be appreciated.

Dec 19th, 2002, 02:28 AM
traci

I think you should be fine sending your card details, the key is provided that you are dealing with reputable hotels/lodges. If it was me I would rather send a fax than e-mail detailing that only the deposit amount specified be processed. Also word the fax to include some sort of confidentiality disclaimer. In that way if the worst should happen and somehow the fax is intercepted and your details used for other purposes, you may just be covered.

Dec 19th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Erik

Visa in Sweden, has something they call an e-card.
You get a new credit card number for each transaction you want, and you can limit it to a max amount for each transaction. This way the number is only valid for one transaction.

Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:46 AM
Karen

I do not know where you are writing from but Canada also has a program similar to the one mentioned by Erik. It at the CIBC - Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. If you are not in one of these places, check with your bank - many of them are now providing some special services for Internet and foreign purchasing.
Karen

Search this Thread