Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Second trip to Israel - A quick Highlights & Lowlights report

Second trip to Israel - A quick Highlights & Lowlights report

Oct 12th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Second trip to Israel - A quick Highlights & Lowlights report

We just came back from our 2nd visit to Israel. This time we were in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv again but also headed south to the Negev and Eilat.

Highlight: Drive from Jerusalem to Mitzpe Ramon -Stopped at Beit Guvrin. Absolutely fantastic. Different sites within the park and the first dovecote we've ever experienced. Each site is different so it really adds up to a wonderful few hours.

Highlight: Mitzpe Ramon and Negev - Beautiful landscape. Great 4 hour Negev 4x4 tour with Eyal Korin. I'd highly recommend him.

Another highlight - Seeing so many Ibexes!

Eilat -
Lowlights:The North Beach and City Center area are an assault on the eyes. Over building, ugly big signs, gargantuan hotels.
However we stayed in the South Beach area. It was like a different world and thus --

Highlights: South Beach area of Eilat. Calm and you're on the coral reefs. Bring water shoes though because the beach is stones and getting into the water is on rocks. Fantastic sighting of beautiful fish almost at the shoreline. Free beaches (except for Coral Beach). Laid back.

Highlight - SNUBA - Our first time. A lot of fun and our instructor was a woman who had been in the IDF dive corps(?) and so she really knew her stuff.
Another highlight - Birding - Went to the Eilat Birdwatching Center. Witnessed banding and had a wonderful tour through their landscape with the director.

Jerusalem - Highlight is that on the 2nd time there one can explore even further the city. Another highlight: Tower of David.

Highlight - Tel Aviv - Frankly I wasn't that impressed the last time we were there. However, this time our hotel (Lusky) was across from the beach making it easily accessible even though we didn't swim there. Wonderful walking on the promenade t dusk and people watching. And lots of cute restaurants and bars nearby. Also, Sarona impressed. Loved the Bauhaus architecture.

Lowlight - Tel Aviv - As with the last time, there are so many people on motorized vehicles and bikes on the sidewalk you take you life in your hands. We've never experienced anything like this anywhere else. In NYC where we live, and as crazy as it is, you're not allowed to ride on the sidewalks. In TLV those doing the riding didn't seem to give a damn who was "in their way".

Overall Highlight - Everyone was good spirited. Great sense of humor. One housekeeper in Eilat was a nasty lady, but she was by far the exception.

Well that's it. Any questions let me know.
Oct 13th, 2018, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Oh yes, some more things:

If you have the time, when in Jerusalem or TLV find the small streets and alleys and explore them. You'll be away from the tour groups and discover a fascinating side. We walked into an alley and there was a synagogue, an art gallery and two small restaurants. You'd never discover them by walking only on the main streets.

Safety - I can't recall any other country we've explored where we felt as safe as in Israel. Well, perhaps Switzerland. I didn't have any fear of walking late at night. IOW - of encountering any street crime.

Search this Thread