seasonal camps serengeti

Jan 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

seasonal camps serengeti

Guys and idea which seasonal camps would be located around moru area in march. I am happy with EMC in ndutu and a good lodge in seronera but cannot find accomodation around moru area. Which other areas where there are good seasonal camps should I visit in march to catch the maximum no. of cats, Sonali.
BAT,EBEN,PATTY,LEELY not heard from u. Where are u guys???
Jan 8th, 2006, 04:50 PM

I think Patty's in Hawaii.
Jan 8th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi Dennis, nice to hear from you. Sonali.
Jan 8th, 2006, 05:05 PM

sonali,
I was away for the holidays but have more than made up for it by internet-ing like crazy the past few days.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question. You've checked Eben's site, right? There must be something set up in the Moru area that time of year. Have you chosen an outfitter?

Good luck. And good luck with the Botswana addition as well. There was a trip report a few months ago from a gentleman who had gone mobile camping in Botswana with his son. The price was pretty reasonable and they had a fantastic time. I will try to find it for you if you think it might be something you'd care to see.
Jan 8th, 2006, 05:10 PM

OFF TOPIC:

sonali, here is the thread for the mobile camping in Botswana (a man and his nephew, not son--ooops):

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34684546

And here is sundowner's trip report, also mobile camping in Bots:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34701244
Jan 8th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Leely, would love to get hands on that report (botswana). My outfitter is going to be sunny safaris for tanzania. Is Eben back ??? Sonali.
Jan 9th, 2006, 10:55 AM

eben should be back in the next couple of days
Jan 9th, 2006, 12:55 PM
bat

Hi sonali:
I just saw this. I do not know of any seasonal camps a la Nomad, EMC, etc that set up at or near Moru. Of course, when eben returns he will be able to tell you. I believe that many outfitters can put you into a campsite there or elswhere in the valley. What does your contact at sunny safaris tell you?
Jan 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Sonali-
We did private mobile camping at Moru Kopjes campsite back in July of 2003 and the view was magnificent. Unfortunately, our tour operator put us in that area at the wrong time of year to see much wildlife but I would highly recommend it for Feb/Mar if you can make it work.
Jan 9th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi bat, The thing is that I prefer seasonal camps to private campsites as they are more luxurious(that is my opinion,eben tell me if I am wrong) and since I am spending so much might as well spend a couple of dollars more. I may have to try sopa,but I am sure it is booked solid. By the way I just got a call from my friends yesterday and am going to kanha(best for tigers in India) for 4 nights from 27th feb to 3rd march. I will post a trip report of my kanha trip on the forum. So serengeti will have to wait. I am also planning botswana and it is very expensive so I may just do masai mara and botswana together to cut costs in october.What do u think???

divewop, July 2003 at moru campsite. I am curious to know how many days u camped and what all wildlife did u see??? where else did u camp in serengeti ?? how was the trip, u have a trip report somewhere?? let me know,Sonali.
Jan 10th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

hello guys, Other then exclusive mobile camp(reading eben's report would not want to go there), which other seasonal tents are available near the seronera area in feb,my cousin want's to go there for her honeymoon.
Jan 10th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Sonali-
We camped two nights at Moru and two nights at Seronera. Between the two, Moru had the best views but for the time of year, Seronera put us closer to the wildlife.
Sorry, no trip report for that trip as I didn't find the Fodor's forum until after my return.
We did see all the usual suspects though. Lions, leopard, eles, and even a very rare rhino sighting during our stay in the south at Moru. We tried to catch up to him but he was too far away.
I really like the Serengeti and would do mobile camping there again (under the right circumstances.)
Jan 10th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

divewop, serengeti is a lovely place to camp. If u want to see more animals u should camp in the northern territory and seronera area around august/sept OR do moru, seronera western serengeti ndutu around feb/march. ndutu only if it rains
Jan 11th, 2006, 02:37 AM

Hi Sonali

Nowadays, some mobile camps (the ones that move every 3 days or so) are not lacking any luxuries! Porcelyn flushing toilets, huge tents, normal beds, great chefs, hot showers, twin basins, china dishware, stainless steel silverware, ice cold drinks, full bars!

I will post some pictures soon on go-safari.com and you can compare Nomad, EMC, Sayari and the mobile set up we used for 4 nights, and see for yourself that there is little to choose between them!

I was with a family of 10 from Seattle who all agreed that the mobile set up we used for 4 nights were more luxurious and certainly more exclusive than EMC in particular!

You will not find seasonal camps at Moru - the mobile companies book the camp sites for a few days depending on client occupation rates.

You can try Nomad, Sanctuary Lodges, Kibo, asilia (sokwe), paul oliver, Amazing Tanzania, Unique safaris.

At Seronera, Unique Safaris appears to have a rather permanent presence at the camp sites (I just saw them at Acacia Camp), Ronjo is used by MKSC and Kibo and Sanctuary Lodges always have a presence somewhere in the area!
Jan 11th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Eben, that was really helpful,Sonali

Search this Thread