Searching for the best craft markets in South Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In October 2005 my husband and I are going to spend a week driving from Johannesburg to Cape Town, via the Garden Route beginning at Knysna. We'll spend a few days outside of Johannesburg and about a week in Cape Town. This will partly be a vacation, since we've traveled in a lot of Africa, but we've never spent time in South Africa except at the airport. The business and fun part will be buying good local native crafts for sale in the US. Can anyone recommend great places to buy the crafts along this route. We're driving from Jo'burg to Bloemfontein, then Graff-Reinet to Knysna. What is good to see and do along this route? We're not young, so we won't hike or camp out - we're staying in local B&B's. We're very excited about this and plan to enjoy this trip as much as we've enjoyed trips to Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Kenya. Thanks for any help you can give us.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 03:17 PM

treasureofafrica,

May I suggest that you obtain the book
"Eskom due-south craft route project"

I guarantee you that it will become your "bible" for your craft purchasing journey.

To see more of this fantastic national craft project go to:
http://www.duesouthcraftroute.co.za/default.html

and

http://travel.iafrica.com/searchsa/393921.htm

You only need this book and no more to want to know where and what craft to buy in South Africa. Furthermore
I am 100% sure that if you obtain this book it will help you in your quest to buy craft in our great country.

Hope this helps

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 07:11 PM

You can take Selwyn's advice "to the bank" as one might say! I envy you that wonderful trip. Good luck!
Take thousands of pictures.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:13 AM

Hello,

I've used the book Selwyn recommends, and it's great -- I found some wonderful crafts in the Cape and Garden Route and in Joburg and Mpumalanga. I'm forever receiving compliments from visitors to my office -- everyone wants to know how I found something more than the usual wooden giraffes!

I would highly recommend a visit to the Kaross outlet in Parkhurst. They have absolutely brilliant tapestries woven by Shangaan women. Take a look on www.kaross.co.za

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Selwyn, uhoh_busted and jasher for the information on the craft "bible" "Eskom due south craft route project". I will buy the book. Where is it available? Can I purchase it at the airport or other bookstores, or do I need to order it from somewhere?
I'll obtain it somehow,and I'm sure that it will be very helpful.
We want to help the local artisans and crafters, and want most of the purchase price to go to these people, not shops and middlemen. Are the prices very inflated and do the sellers expect some bargaining? We're willing to pay reasonable prices and not try to bargain away the artists' profits.

We're looking forward to this fabulous trip and will take lots of photos!!

Thanks again.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Hello,

I bought it at an Exclusive Books branch in Cape Town (at the V&A waterfront). You may be able to get it from Amazon before you go -- otherwise, there is a huge bookstore in the Hyde Park Mall in Joburg which should have it.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:53 AM

Hello,

Just checked Amazon --they don't have it. But you can email the authors on [email protected] or [email protected] and ask if it's stocked somewhere in the US.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Took a look at my copy now that I'm home from work -- here's the ISBN

ISBN 0-620-31824-4

I'd order a copy before you go -- it's great for planning your trip.

Cheers,
Julian