Scuba diving Zanzibar, transportation?

Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Scuba diving Zanzibar, transportation?

My girlfriend and I are planning a Serengeti safari/Zanzibar diving trip for three weeks in October-November. We're staying at Breezers Beach Club on the south east coast. Now, from what I've heard most dive sites are off the Pemba and Mnemba islands. Is it at all feasible to go from Breezers to these sites every morning and every evening (and if so, by what means of transportation and how long would it take? Too wearisome?)
Any other dive sites to recommend that are somewhat more accessible from Breezers? My girlfriend just recently received her diver's certificate and I have approx. 150 dives.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
sandi

Most all resorts on the East coast of Zanzibar have diving available. Many use sites off the Mnemba atoll which is closer to the Northeast coast resorts rather then the Southeast coast where Breezes is located.

If you are working thru a tour operator/outfitter you should ascertain from them the specifics as to the sites Breezes uses. Also, if diving was a priority why didn't you determine this before booking... and for how many days will you be spending on the coast vs your safari time?

However, all should not be lost if you don't get the answer you want... you can ask to change resorts for one on the Northeast coast... there are lots from which to choose.

If Breezes uses the Mnemba atoll find out how long the boat ride is (contact the hotel directly), so you know how much time will be taken up with transport vs diving.

Pemba sites are actually on a different island which you would have to fly to or take a long boat ride. Or you can choose to stay on Pemba... maybe even "Pemba Afloat" where you live on a boat (all inclusive as reasonable rates) in a private cove with great dive sites right there.

Mnemba Island per se is very expensive... but as mentioned it's the Mnemba atoll where most diving takes place.

For really great diving, you can also consider Mafia Island which is a short flight from Dar-es-Salaam, with only three good resorts on the entire island.

You mention safari in the Serengeti - just the Serengeti (where) or elsewhere on the mainland and for how many days?

Jul 25th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi sandi,
Thx for your answer. We're doing the safari in Tanzania for 8 or 9 days (Arusha-Ngorongoro-Ikoma-Kirurumu) and the diving on Zanzibar for about 7 days. The reason we chose Breezers was that that friends of my family (though non-divers...) stayed there about a year ago and they loved the place, and we got a grand suite for a very favourable price.
I reacon we have to drop the idea of diving Pemba and maybe also Mnemba then, if we're going to stay at Breezers. But on the other hand, it's sounds reassuring when you say there are diving available all along the east coast.
Do you know if the diving is good also off the west coast of Zanzibar?
KR
Jul 25th, 2005, 11:59 AM
sandi

To preface - I'm a dipper (if that) not a diver. So the info re diving is from other sources but very very reliable.

The only thing better on the west coast is the roads. The diving is almost all done off the east coast and the other places I mentioned.

Search this Thread