Reload this Page >

Using a tour company from South Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:02 AM
Jeff

I'm interested in using a tour company that's located in South Africa. They do not have a US office. Is there anyway I can check to make sure it's not two guys working out of their garage? The cost of the 9 day safari is over 8 grand and I just want to be sure this company is reputable.<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:55 AM
Patricia

8 grand???!!!!! Good grief!!! Are they going to carry you around in sedan chairs?<BR>I was recently in South Africa and used Hylton/Ross for 1/2 day and all-day tours in and around the Cape Town area--very reasonable. But I don't know about safaris in S.A. However, run, do not walk, from anyone wanting to charge you that price!!! Our 9-day Kenyan safari from Atlanta to Nairobi via Johannesburg cost us $2,050 each. This included all but 2 or 3 meals, our lodges, R.T. on South Africa Airways, taxes, transfers, etc. We stayed in very nice lodges and we all would recommend this outfit to anyone. There were only 5 in our group (the maximum is 6). We arranged this through 2Afrika in Jersey City, New Jersey (the owner is a South African). In Kenya we were turned over to Vintage Africa. Everyone was professional and reliable. Food was good (not gourmet, but perfectly good), we had beautiful views and beautiful pools everyplace we stayed. I know you're talking about S.A. and not Kenya, but the price couldn't be that different. I think you're about to be taken by these guys.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:24 AM
Karen

I'm a tour company in South Africa and frankly for 8G's US I sure would hope it was a 7 star tour. They should have an 'About Us' page, a 'Terms and Conditions' page, membership or affiliation with a bona fide travel association, a street address and phone # listed. Check around and compare prices for similar tours. They might be two guys working out of a garage and there is really nothing wrong with that - I'm legitimate and I work out of my home. But gouging is another matter altogether and this sure sounds like gouging to me. Keep shoppng!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:29 AM
Liz

Jeff-If they don't take US credit cards, I'd look elsewhere. At least if they don't deliver you can go back through the credit card to recoup your money. <BR>I think anyone can get you a trip for half that including air. Try K&D for one. We traveled with them for a LOT less than what you're talking about. <BR>If you ever read this thread, you should have an idea that this is crazy. <BR>I agree with Patricia's answer. Liz

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:47 PM
Joe

Are you the same 'party' as Kara who got not response to her question. No response would give me my answer immedietly - there are so many reputable companies that do safaris, why take a chance with a fly by night???

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Patricia

Me again. I checked in 2Afrika's website. They have an 18-day S.A. trip including Kruger safari that is only around $3,000. I'm sure they would tailor a trip for you if you asked. As I said, we were very happy with them. But then, I didn't expect luxury in Africa. What we got was way above our expectations.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Lisa

Is it 8k per person and does it include airfare from US? I agree that it an exorbitant price.<BR><BR>Another thing you can do is to write to the SA bureau of tourism and check with them. I'm not sure what the URL is for them.