Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > SCARED TO DEATH SAYS: "VUYATELLA--2ND RUNNER UP TO SINGITA, BUT NOT WITHOUT SOME PROBLEMS

SCARED TO DEATH SAYS: "VUYATELLA--2ND RUNNER UP TO SINGITA, BUT NOT WITHOUT SOME PROBLEMS

Jun 20th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

SCARED TO DEATH SAYS: "VUYATELLA--2ND RUNNER UP TO SINGITA, BUT NOT WITHOUT SOME PROBLEMS

Shame on Roccco--Tired, Cranky and homesick and taking it out on Vuyatella. That's not nice. Had Vuyatella been the BEGINNING of our vacation, TRUST ME, your roccco's behind would have been dragging on the floor like an out of control Dachshund. He is really quite unfair, and I am upset.

Let's get a few things straight:
I hate safari--not fun for me
I hate the fact that it is expensive
Since I hate safari, there is little else for me to do at lodges--since they never take into consideration that EVERYONE is not salivating over live animals.

This said I believe Vuyatella has really captured a couple of real and vital issues:

Value For Money
Decor second to Singita--Different, but second
SPOTLESS
SERVICE STAFF--BETTER THAN SINGITA--BY FAR
I have been to 4 lodges in Southern Africa--two of which were Singita and Matetsi (Zimbabwe). Matetsi was HORRIBLE, DIRTY and, I might mention part of the "leading small hotels of the world group" hahahaha

Singita--great--but had it's problems--Service staff was slow and lazy--food was typical "lodge" food after a while. Yes, you had the occasional butternut pizza and interesting cake, but dinner was always pretty bla.

Out of these 4 lodges, VUYATELLA has been my best overall experience, value for money, you name it. Roccco is VERY choosy when it comes to odd things, like curb appeal and such trivial issues.

HOWEVER, SHAME ON THE OWNERS OF VUYATELLA FOR NOT INTRODUCING HERSELF AT BREAKFAST--YOUR STOCK WENT WAY DOWN WITH ME BABY.

I on the other hand, think the managment (all of it), albeit not as PERSONABLE as I would like it to be, does do A LOT OF THINGS RIGHT BECAUSE I AM HAPPY OVERALL--VERY HAPPY

For safari lovers, I have seen the following here in three days and 2 game drives---
Two huge prides of female lions--6 feet away--all cuddly with each other and hugging eachother resting like sardines

--1 huge herd of buffalo--10 ft
--3 giraffe
--1 alligator
--1 hippo
--3 White Rhino
and all your birds, snakes, and tons of antelope (5 species)

Roccco has seen much more than I have. Vuyatella's service is astounding--I am so sorry the managment staff wears alot of its emotions on its face. Nicole (assistant manager) belongs at Singita--she's good.

Vuyatella's breakfast and lunch are great--plenty of variety and greens. In my opinion, all lodge dinners need serious help--they should be buffet style--it's much more conducive.

I will leave a $1000 Rand tip tomorrow when I leave--I will give our housekeeper 100 Rand
I will give my ranger 30-40USD and my tracker as well--Roccco agrees as well. For a great overall experience--safari, accomodations, and above-all service--I promise you Vuyatella will not let you down. Take it from "SCARED"
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

PS--WE DID NOT LEAVE A TIP AT SINGITA--ONLY TO OUR RANGER AND TRACKER
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Surfer

Wow, am I glad you're leaving SA before I get there. Obnoxious posting. Get some sleep - sounds like you need it. Nothing personal, but solve your spat offline, and leave posting to the pros.

Jun 20th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

TO SURFER--
Sorry to offend you --but we all have our own opinions, and those opinions should be taken for what they're worth--OPINIONS
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Surfer

Nothing personal, but your posting sounded more like a gripe session about minutiae than a useful travel posting. The tone was troubling, like you were just waiting for the staff or managementto slip up, and you'd be down their throats. And the money - of course, it's expensive. You knew that going in. All this may be your opinions, but we've yet to establish whether you've the experience and perspective for them to have any credibility. All we have is tone, negative tone. And complaints about money.

Jun 20th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

MEMORANDUM

TO: SURFER

RE: TRAVEL RESUME

COUNTRIES: SPAIN, MOROCCO, TURKEY, GREECE, ITALY, MALTA, CHINA, SOUTH AFRICA (TWO TOURS OF DUTY), ZAMBIA, ZIMBABWE, MEXICO, CHILE, IRAN, ENGLAND.

SAFARI EXPERIENCE (IN CASE IT WASN'T CLEAR)
SINGITA--RELAIX & CHATEAUX GROUP--FINEST HOTELS IN THE WORLD
MATETSI RIVER LODGE--SEE ABOVE
KAFUNTA--ZAMIA
VUYATELLA--SABI SANDS

IS THAT EXPERIENCE ENOUGH FOR YOU?
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Surfer

Your list of countries pertains to what? Oh, credibility! I get it.

OK, now, what was the problem about the cost? Am I to assume you normally stay in hostiles that cost next to nothing? That I don't get.

Now the ALL CAPS must signify yelling or a loud voice. Must be my ears are ringing.

Anyway, so happy you had such a satisfying trip, and you must keep us posted on your future adventures.

Jun 20th, 2003, 09:11 PM

"Hostiles" instead of hostels is such a perfect malaprop in this case.
Sorry, couldn't resist that observation.
Isn't this site about helpful travel info instead of flaming barbs?
Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:51 AM
Surfer

Oh, I'm not so certain there was much flame, and I enjoyed your comment about hostiles. I noticed the typo and simply decided to leave well enough alone.

It was Friday - I was having fun. I now promise to be serious, at least until Friday - provided Roccco promises to limit each posting to 1,000 words. And Scaredtodeath picks a new name.

Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:50 AM
Tiiimeisonmyside

I for one am looking forward with anticipation for Roccco's threads after his journey is complete. We need some ideas for wine Country where my brother and I are going in two months, and I was hoping he and his wife could fill in the blanks for us.

Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:57 PM
Peep

Thanks for posting! It's interesting to get your perspective on things.

Search this Thread