Search

2 safari operators or just 1

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 safari operators or just 1

2 safari operators or just 1?

Since we're going to safari in both Tanzania and Kenya, would you suggest hiring 2 different companies (one in each country) or 1 company that services both? The advantage of 1 is that it will essentially save some time, not having to get from NBO to Arusha to start the 2nd. The advantage of 2 is if 1 sucks, hopefully the other won't. We're planning on doing the camping safaris in both countries and we've got around a month, but plan on going to the beach for atleast a week and seeing some cities.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Has anyone taken this safari with just one company that they enjoyed?

Thanks!
Annie
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 03:31 PM
sandi

Many in-country outfitters, either handle both countries, or if only one (Kenya or Tanzania) they often have a relationship with an outfitter in the other country. Hand-offs at the borders if crossing at say Namanga, are handled very smoothly. If transfering between countries by air, a rep of the hand-off company will be at the airport once you clear immigration.

Do a search here - the box on the top of this board - input Kenya (or Tanzania) Tour operators, click Search on the right of the screen. Threads containing names of outfitters will appear in the left colume.

Some that come to mind:
Roy Safaris (in Tanzania)
Good Earth (office in the US)
Eastern & Southern Safaris (or Tours) (in Kenya)
Wild Trek (in Kenya)
Bushbucks (in Tanzania)

there are more that a search will bring up.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Annie,
I'm unsure of what you mean by "not having to get from NBO to Arusha to start the 2nd". You would still have to cross over to Tanzania somehow, either via one of the land borders or by flying. If crossing by road and assuming you're not taking the public shuttle, you would switch vehicles and driver/guides at the border between Kenya and Tanzania.

If you plan to use 1 operator to book your entire trip, I would ask them which operator they use on the ground in the other country so you can check here or on other message boards for comments about that operator.

When you book through one operator, in most cases you're still dealing with two actual operators when you get there. Booking through one may simplify the process and it's up to you which you prefer.

I booked the Kenya and Tanzania portions of my upcoming safari separately because I was planning something a bit out of the ordinary in Tanzania wanted to communicate directly with the people who will be organizing and taking us on safari. Otherwise, I would've just as soon booked everything through my Kenyan operator.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

All I meant was that I wouldn't have to spend a whole day getting from NBO to Arusha and then wait till the next to depart again. Most likely I could safari to Amboseli and then head on down to Arusha where as a Kenya only safari would take me back to Nairobi.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 05:49 PM
sandi

Even with a Kenya only outfitter, it's easy enough to do Amboseli, then be transferred to Namanga where your Tanzania outfitter would take over. But this should be arranged so that each outfitter knows their responsibilities and the schedule.

The reason I explained above that outfitters in one country often have a working relationship with an outfitter in another. If for some reason your outfitter in one country doesn't, you'll have to be responsible to see that both know what's going on and be the coordinator. It's doable, but you shouldn't have to deal with this.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:01 PM

Annie,
You can still make the transfer at Namanga if you book with 2 operators. Are you planning a private safari? If so, your tour operators should be able to pick you up/drop you off wherever you indicate. There may be an additional charge to do so versus returning to Nairobi/starting in Arusha.

As sandi mentioned, just make sure both operators know what you're planning and coordinate the timing of your transfer. The border transfer process is the same whether you book through one or two operators, but it may be easier for you to have one operator coordinate this on your behalf.