Sayari - Jasher

Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Sayari - Jasher

I need some help on Sayari from you and anyone else who has been . This is The Sayari camp in the Northern Serengeti/Mara triangle.
We will be going there in August - any suggestions, tips etc would be welcome
Thanks
Miriam
Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:39 AM

Hello,

I really enjoyed my stay at Sayari in the Mara Triangle in October - it's a great camp. The tents are spread out along the bank of the river, and if the migration is passing through you can sometimes see the wildebeest herds on the other side making up their minds about whether or not to cross. If there are animals on the banks there's a crossing watch and you'll be called if a crossing starts.

All of the tents are very luxurious, but I'd recommend getting one which is a bit closer to the lounge -- the ones further out are quite a long walk.

Will you be in your own vehicle or in one of the Sayari vehicles? The Sayari vehicles are open vehicles with canvas roofs (with roll down sides in case of rain). Note that they don't put the windscreen down in open vehicles in Tanzania, which is one more reason to avoid the middle seat.

My guide at Sayari was Njamo -- he has been at the camp as long as it's existed and knows the area well. I'd highly recommend him if you're not bringing your own guide. Clyde, the manager, is also a great guide.

Sayari is a camp where I think it's a big advantage to have one of their guides rather than bringing your own. They know the area much better, and are more comfortable with driving off-road (this is allowed in the Mara Triangle as it's a designated wilderness area). While I was on my trip I met some people who had their own guides and they pretty much stuck to the roads which is a shame.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,
Julian
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi Julian, thank you so much.
We are using a Sayari vehicle. How many people are normally in a vehicle. We are three in our group.

We took your advice last year when we went to Londolozi and had a wonderful experience. Our guide was Renias Mhlongo and we had Freddy, Elmon's son as our tracker.

We are counting the days to Sayari and also going to Little Governors.

Thanks again,
Miriam
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:35 AM

Can someone please enlighten me? As far as I know the name "Mara Triangle" is used for the area west of Mara River and here commonly for the Kenyan portion of that area. Sayari is located east of the river and I even can't find this name on the Asilia website. Or has the location of Sayari changed?
Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM

Hello,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed Londoz -- I've also had Freddy as my tracker, and he's great. Sounds like you have a great trip coming up!

It's great that you'll be going out wit the Sayari vehicles and guides -- not many of the roaming driver-guides spend much time in this area and the local knowledge really helps. There were three people in my vehicle while I was there (myself and one other couple). Since quite a few people have their own drivers it's not likely to more than three or four.

The Mara Triangle in this context means the wedge-shaped area bordered on the south/east by the Mara River and on the north by the Kenya-Tanzania border (the Tanzanian portion of the area you're referring to). Sayari is situated just across the river. Because the animals don't care about the border, you can often see the Migration here when conventional wisdom says you need to head to Kenya.

I really like this area because there aren't many camps here, and because it's a designated wilderness area some limited off-roading is allowed. I had some great sightings on my visit in October, when the herds had hung back in the Mara because the rains were late in coming.

Cheers,
Julian
Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM

I absolutely love the area in and around Sayari. August through October are wonderful months there, with late September and October being my favorite. Julian, I have heard the area also referred to as the Lemai Wedge, as the Mara Triangle is already a term used over in Kenya. It avoids confusion, I think.

I cannot wait to be there in a few weeks.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:08 PM

Hello Andy,

I've heard both terms used by the guides, but you're right, Lemai Wedge is clearer and less confusing. Whatever you want to call it, it's a great area -- I'm quite jealous of people who are heading that way this year!

Cheers,
Julian
Jun 4th, 2007, 04:33 AM

Thanks for the info Julian and Andy. NOW I understand why our guide is heading back to Arusha after transfering us to the Asilia guides. Off the road driving in open vehicles is very exciting! Any thoughts on Suyan north which is where we will be before hitting Sayari in late October?
Jun 4th, 2007, 05:32 AM

Hi Miriam,

Do you mean Suyan in the Loliondo ares? Sayari North is the one in the Lemai Wedge...there's a Sayari South but it's only open during the calving season in the short grass plains.

I stayed at the location where Suyan will be during my trip last year (back then it was Olakira, but Olakira has been relocated). There isn't as much game as there is Lemai, but the option to do walking safaris and fly-camping is great. You'll also meet the Maasai who live in Olosokwan village. Definitely take advantage of the opportunity to do some walking!

I did see wild dogs in the Olosokwan area while staying there last year. The den was hidden in the back country and we had to wallk about 2km up and down some very steep hills to find it, but being able to watch the dogs was worth it.

My guide in Loliondo was Gian, but he's now heading up Asilia's fly-camping division so you'll have a different guide. Overall my experiences with Asilia's guides (including at Oliver's Camp in Tarangire) have been first class.

Cheers,
Julian
Jun 4th, 2007, 06:05 AM

Julian, we will be at Suyan Loliondo. Definitely looking forward to night drives and walking with the Maasai. I'd walk any where to see the painted dogs!
Jun 4th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Hello,

Hope the dogs den there again this year! They've denned in the area in previous years so hopefully you'll get lucky.

Cheers,
Julian
Jun 4th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Julian, we are actually going to be staying at Sayari in early July next year -- we had planned on spending time both in the Western Corridor (Grumeti or the CCA mobile camp probably) and Sayari just to hedge in case the migration is up there early. Do you have any comments into what to expect there at that time of year?
Thanks.
Chris
Jun 4th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Chris, Sayari and the Lemai Wedge can be quite good in July, even if the migration is not around. I saw 9 cheetah in a 2 hour span last year, including 3 year-old young ones. Pretty amazing. I haven't had the best success with lions in the area, but elephant and giraffe have always been outstanding.
Jun 4th, 2007, 06:53 AM

Thanks, Andy. I had heard that there was good resident wildlife there, plus the advantage of being away from all of the Seronera crowds -- it's why our travel agent suggested it and we decided to go there.

This trip next year will be our first "conventional" safari equipped with DSLRs and good lenses, so I am especially looking forward to it as a photographic opportunity. I know you appreciate that, as your photographic work is a big inspriation to us.

Chris
Jun 4th, 2007, 08:33 AM

I absolutely love it when I can get away from other vehicles, as well as have the ability to move around offroad when needed. The composition options dramatically increase for photography. The only challenge is that Sayari camp is a 10 or 15 minute drive before you cross the Mara River where you can drive offroad.
Jun 4th, 2007, 10:20 AM

andybiggs, your last line explains a lot. Thank you.
Jun 4th, 2007, 04:19 PM

I have found that it is a quick 10 or 15 minutes, which requires getting out of camp as early as possible. Have coffee, will travel!
Jun 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM

Since Sayari is a permanent camp I wonder if these river crossings and visits of Lemai Wedge are offered during the whole season. I can imagine that this depends on water levels of the Mara River.
Jun 4th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Perhaps, but I wouldn't think that any time before the middle of June or into July that it be as good. There is a decent concrete bridge that crosses the Mara, and I have had to wait it out to get back across after a decent rain. The Mara River doesn't get too high unless a recent rain hits the area. Not an issue, in my opinion.
Jun 5th, 2007, 01:35 AM

Hello,

I agree with Andy - if anything the drive is more like five or seven minutes if you don't stop to see game along the way. I had some very good sightings on the Sayari side of the river as well, including a very relaxed male cheetah.

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO