Search

How dusty/sandy is it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 09:07 AM
Molly

How dusty/sandy is it?

I'm heading to Egypt/Jordan in December and am excited about all the sites I'm going to visit. But I'm wondering about how dusty and sand filled my clothes and shoes will be? I've only ever traipsed through ruins in the UK and big European cities and I know that this trip is going to be very different. Any tips?

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 10:13 AM
amy

Not very dusty/sandy. I wore sneakers in the desert in Egypt. Wore clothes over and over...not very dirty at all. Even wore my contacts! It tends to be a little windy at pryamids, so wouldn't wear contacts there....however...no problem with sand! Feel free to get in touch with me for any other questions! [email protected]

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 02:46 PM
Diane

Molly, <BR> <BR>I wish I'd been as lucky as Amy -- by contrast I found Egypt to be VERY dusty and dirty. Not so much sand, but very fine dust everywhere. Bear in mind that Egypt gets only 2-1/2 inches of rain a year, and has many, many unpaved streets so the dirt that's kicked up is never washed down, even off the leaves of the trees. I saw some tourists wearing sandals (temps were 75-80 in November) and their feet got quite dirty; I wore closed-toe Mephistos and never regretted it. Took my Birks along for after-hours relaxing, when I knew I'd be indoors. <BR> <BR>You will love seeing all the Egyptian antiquities, but the price for it is the cleanliness you're accustomed to. Have a great time!

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 09:12 PM
Rudy

Molly, <BR> <BR>It will be dustier than you were used to experiencing in Europe, but not unpleasantly so. If you wear sneakers you will feel comfortable and won't mind a bit of dirt. Wear long pants. Even jeans are appropriate. You can wear them again if you just give them a little shake after taking them off. They won't be smudged or dirty unless you do some hard climbing, which I doubt. <BR> <BR>At the pyramids, you might experience a brief sandstorm, which whips up the dirt and gravel. It can actually get fierce enough to sting, and to seriously affect contact lenses, but it lasts only a few minutes. <BR> <BR>Your clothes and shoes will not get "sand-filled", as the earth is compact and hard.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 11:50 AM
charlie

Do protect your still and video cameras with a clear plastic bag as the dust seems to seek out the lens and internals. I used a couple of large zip lock freezer bags.