Sandi,Climbhighsleeplow and Leely-Help

Feb 18th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Sandi,Climbhighsleeplow and Leely-Help

Hi there,

Finalinsing my trip (again)
For my trip in the serengeti i can do one of two options( so i am told)

Option 1-
June 23 Olduvai tented camp
june24-27 Sayari Camp(US400 pppn)
june 28th Zanzibar

option2
june 23 Olduvai tented camp
june 24-25 North Serengeti Olosokwan Camp (US525 pppn)
june West serengti Nomad camp (us525 pppn)

If i can loose the night at Olduvai and go straight to serengeti can u recommend two nights available central serengeti and then on to Sayari for three nights. I'm not sure if the fact it is my honeymoon will make a difference.

Any thoughts would be welcome. I will post my itinery when it i s finalised and then do a report.

Many thanks chris
Feb 18th, 2006, 07:36 AM

Chris

You are working really hard on your honeymoon! I remember we offered some advice in Oct 2005!

In your Oct post, I suggested 2 nights in the Western Serengeti and 2 nights in Seronera or Mbuze Mawe or maybe Migration Camp. This remains my best suggestion for June!

However, in late June, a combination of Western Serengeti and Northern Serengeti will also work, but I would not skip the Western Serengeti in late June.

Since you have been offered a Northern Serengeti stay (actually Olosokwan is in Northern Loliondo), I suggested Sayari instead - simply because the area around the Mara is more attractive, there is more wildlife, and no cattle! Nomad is always an excellent choice but the Olosokwan area don't compare with the Mara River. The wildebeests will probably not move through the congested areas of Olosokwan.

In June, I just don't see the need for the Olduvai stop knowing that a few hours away the wildebeests may be facing the big crocs at the Grumeti River! Seronera or points west are the places to be!

A combination of 2-3 nights Nomad Serengeti (assuming they will be in the west serengeti) and 2 nights Sayari will be good in late June. Or split the time between West Serengeti and Seronera.

Feb 18th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Chris,

What climbhigh said.

Feb 18th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Sorry--didn't mean to be flippant, it's just that climbhigh really knows the Serengeti.

Also, re: your last night in Stone Town. I would guess E & G is a cut above the Dhow. We had made a dinner reservation at E & G and they lost it so we couldn't dine there but they did let us poke around. Very nice for a honeymoon. Get a room with A/C wherever you stay; Stone Town is H-O-T. I usually don't need/want air conditioning, but I would have been miserable without it there.
Feb 18th, 2006, 01:43 PM
sandi

I haven't tracked your position before Olduvai - the Crater? Or a stop at the Crater with o/n at Olduvai? I just hate that routing of ATRs (or is it Africa Dream?) Regardless. Unless you can get a 1-nt somewhere in the Central area (the Serena or Mbuzi Mawe), you shouldnt (or no reputable outfitter will do the) drive in 1-day; you can - oh, I hate to say this, but - backtrack to Manyara and fly to airstrip near Sayari or the Grumeti airstrip.

You can certainly do the drive to the Western Serengeti from the Crater, but unless staying at the Crater - you're kind of stuck with Olduvai. But, it's only a stop on the way to farther destinations, though still a long ways to Sayari. I can feel for your butt!

Olosokwan - way in the wrong direction, but another favorite of ATR!

Have you been assured that space is available at Sayari and/or Nomads. Better get crackin' and get this all confirmed.

Emerson & Green is much nicer than Dhow. Funky! Definitely get a room with a/c here and preferrably on the beach too. The Serena Inn is another option in Stone Town, a bit more expensive than E&G, but a good back-up.

Search this Thread