Morocco Safety

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morocco Safety

Okay.. there has been alot of talk about potential terrorism threats against tourists at popular sites...Does anybody have any information.. No, I'm not afraid of people with guns, but when "they" say they are aiming for the tourist sites,I do get a little concerned..We are talking about especially Marakesh. and please dont' tell me that "threats" and car bombs don't scare you a bit..
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 11:39 AM

The Government of Morocco just elevated their threat warning to Maximum. They did this because of a series of public events and holidays and lead up to the parlimentary election in September. The U.S. State Dept. has not altered their travel warnings. It doesn't seem there is specific information, but just greater concern about this time period.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

So, I guess we have to wait to see what happens in September and the election.. Thank You
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:56 AM

I had a bad experience with Moroccan immigration in Tangiers. I went with my niece on a tour group with 15 others that left Algeciras for a day-trip into Tangiers. When we tried to return to Spain, Moroccan immigration said my paperwork was wrong. This was hard to believe since I was with a group of 15 others (my niece and I were the only Americans) and only my stamps were askew. After a long delay in the line, they waived me through but would not give me my passport. Finally after my guide intervened, and another delay, I got my passport back. Have any other Americans been given the "treatment" while visiting Morocco?
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:08 AM

bcwong1,

We did have a similar experience. We took a ferry from Spain to Tangiers and back the next day. On boarding the ferry back to Spain, we were hounded by "guides" who took our passports, filled out our paperwork on our behalf, separated my husband and myself (he went with the passports; I with the luggage, and was taken around customs effectively cutting the long line, without seeing an immgrations officer and without my passport!). The "guides" took our passports (and my husband, following closely) to the immigrations officer (again cutting the line) who stamped our passports without even looking at us -- and made us pay them about $50. I'm sure the officer got greased as well. I'm also sure that we must have looked like suckers, and were unprepared for this experience -- and so were hustled out of $50. But we got our passports back and safely back to Spain, which was what mattered most to us at that moment.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM

My passport was also not in order. Couldn't find one of the entry stamps. The officer at the exit site sent me to another officer, who then sent me back. Officer #1 sighs at my return, takes my passport (!) and walks off.

Minutes later he comes back and hands it to me with a smile and a flourish, pointing to the stamp I should have had to begin with.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM
jgg

Four of us flew into Marrakech and out of Casablanca. Had no problems with our passports and were always treated kindly and graciously. We did have a man help us with directions in Marrakech and then ask for money. We had been forewarned, and should have known. It is important to watch out for "guides."
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 01:44 AM

These unfortunate incidents here sound like a misunderstanding on the part of the visitor....Moroccan police aren't out to scam anyone at the port, I make that trip constantly and have never had problems. They are however very vigilant about the paperwork and stamps you have when entering/leaving and a mix-up would cause a delay but a police officer wouldn't keep someone's passport unless there were a good reason. As for "having" to pay $50, well, you said it yourself, you got suckered. They'll try it on with anyone, but there is no reason for you to deal with them at all, in a situation like that you should only give your passport to the immigration/customs officer anyway. The learning curve is sharp in Morocco.