Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Samburu Sopa and Mosquito Nets (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/samburu-sopa-and-mosquito-nets-852841/)

long2travel Aug 3rd, 2010 06:03 AM

Samburu Sopa and Mosquito Nets

We'll be in the Samburu Sopa next week and was wondering if it's necessary to bring our own mosquito nets for the beds. I wrote to them and got no response, my ground handler says they don't supply them and I thought I saw somewhere that they have them on the windows (screens I suppose). Does anyone know for sure? If they do have screens on the windows do you think it's necessary to bring our own mosquito nets. I won't need them for any of our other locations so I didn't purchase any.

FrankS Aug 3rd, 2010 06:35 AM

Upon your return please post whether that Sopa has nets available. Tripadvisor reviews appear to indicate they arent standard.

spassvogel Aug 3rd, 2010 07:14 AM

I don't know whether they provide the netting.

Room attendants most probably spray your room on turn down service. But those stuff members might also leave th door open while the room is well lit.

If I were in your shoes and don't get a real confirmation I would bring my own.

We always have our with us when we travel to Africa. It's a travel net for a big double bed and weights roughly 400grms all fitting tools included.

I am not so much afraid of the mossies but all the other stuff which might be crawling around........

Finally - I consider it a shame for camps and lodges WITHIN MALARIA AREAS to NOT provide decent netting; they are jeopardizing guest's health! - maybe one of them is lurking ;-)

Happy travels!

((@))

sandi Aug 3rd, 2010 08:00 AM

Few of the lodges provide nets, as they're enclosed rooms with protective screens on windows. If there are nets, they're for decorative purposes, but you can, of course use them. Rooms are provided with spray (just in case) which you or the attendent can spray before going out for dinner (not over your bedding). Then when you return from dinner, go to sleep.

Even tents are made with protective screening and for those who do provide nets, again... it's more for decorative purposes, but can be used.

I haven't seen a mossie in years when on safari. My only bites have been from critters on the ground as grass ants, sand flies (when out on the coast)... but never mossies.

FrankS Aug 3rd, 2010 08:15 AM

I thought Sopa lodges ( at least in Tanzania) have nets. No?

long2travel Aug 4th, 2010 02:50 AM

Thanks everyone. FrankS, I'll be sure to post on the mosquito nets upon my return.

FrankS Aug 4th, 2010 04:47 AM

Thank you long2travel,
Have a great trip!
FrankS

spassvogel Aug 4th, 2010 05:44 AM

sandi
sorry to say that: extremely poor consultancy regarding the necessity of mosquito netting!

By far are the nets provided not only for DECORATION! IF netting is provided it's always rolled down by turn down service - and certainly not for decoration purpose.

And certainly people within malaria areas don't roll UP the netting IF provided.

Here is some advise (one of tons!) given by WHO:

http://www.rollbackmalaria.org/partn...abrief_psi.pdf

The government certainly wouldn't have provided 6 MILLION nets without reason!

((@))

sandi Aug 4th, 2010 08:33 AM

<i>"And certainly people within malaria areas don't roll UP the netting IF provided."</i>

... speaking for myself only, I DO ROLL UP THE NETTING!

With the exception of one camp in Botswana that had the netting on a track at least 1.5-2-ft away from the bed (probably the most romantic bed I've ever slept in) so one didn't kill themselves trying to get out from them... I find the nets annoying and can be seriously dangerous at night. Why it's not unusual to find many torn and soon having to be replaced.

I remember that bed and room from 10/yrs ago, but haven't been under a net since.

However, for those who are living in endemic malaria areas ... by all means use whatever is appropriate, whether sprays, coils and yes, even nets... as is detailed in the link you provided showing the success in reducing the numbers contracting the disease.