Salt Lick Safari Lodge

Sep 17th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Salt Lick Safari Lodge

I'm in the planning stages of my African Safari trip in February. One of the options is Salt Lick Safari Lodge, run by the Hilton peeople, and located next to Tsavo National Park in Kenya. The reason I'm considering a stay there is because I could use my Hilton points for a free 4 night stay combined with 2 nights at the Nairobi Hilton the night before and after. The stay would include include transportation from Nairobi by minibus, professional driver/guide, sanctuary fees, game-drives and accommodation on full board. The pictures on the website: www.saltlicklodge.com look fabulous, but I would like to get some first hand reports from any Fodorites that stayed there.

If I decide to stay there, it would give me an opportunity to also do a 3 or 4 night safari in South Africa, as my first choice was and could still be, to do a 10 night multi park safari in Kenya.

Thanks.
Sep 17th, 2003, 05:20 PM

AA,
My wife and I just used our Hilton points to stay at the Salt Lick in August. It was a very nice lodge that had a water hole in front of the rooms. Animals were repeatedly coming up to the watering hole at all hours. We even ended up getting some of our best pictures from the balcony at the bar or at the tunnel. A driver from UTC will pick you up at the Hilton Nairobi and drive you 5 to 6 hours to the Salt Lick. It is a long, very bumpy ride but it's not too bad. We were lucky to get our own vehicle. The driver will be your guide throughout the trip. You go on a game drive early in the morning and then one in the evening. It's also a different area than say Masai Mara in that there is a VERY large herd of cape buffalo and there are also lots of elephants. The one drawback to staying there is you have to stay on the paths when you go on your game drive. We didn't think anything of this because we didn't know better. It was once we went to Masai Mara we realized we could get so close to the animals elsewhere. We did see lions eating a buffalo as well as cheetah eating an impalla. The cheetah was about 100 yards away and we weren't able to get good pictures but it was still cool. The food did get a little tiring because it was fish or beef every meal with potatos. When we were there, they were really hurting. Hardly anyone was there. When you make the reservation, make sure you request one of the rooms facing the water hole (not all of them do.) Also, if you go the UTC driver will tell you that you can go on an excursion to a Masai village. It is way overpriced at $90 for 2 people and it only lasts about an hour. When we were in Masai Mara, it was about $10 a person instead. We definitely don't regret going and especially since you're using points, it's a great place to stay. If you have any questions or want to see some of our digital pictures from there, let me know.
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:00 AM

Andyev - I have reservations for this hilton trip in March. We are considering cancelling that, and opting for a different tour. Are you at the Salt lick property the entire 4 days, or do they do drives into Tsavo? I was a little concerned about being only on the one property for all 4 days. Since you have done the Salt Lick, and the Masai Mara, would you recommend the Masai Mara over salt lick?
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

andyev,

Thanks for the report. I did get my requested date confirmed, so it looks like I will be there in February. I'm also looking at a 3 or 4 days safari at the Kruger National Park in South Africa.

If you do have some shots of the cabins and the property, I would like to get in touch with you.

Search this Thread