safey of woman traveling alone

May 28th, 2002, 12:20 AM
mary

safey of woman traveling alone

Hi Iam a mature woman who has always dreamed of going to South Africa. Alas my husband or lady friends will not go because they all belive it to be unsafe. How true is this? would it be safe? how about a tour , would that be any better?

May 28th, 2002, 04:07 AM
Cindy

Mary -

I was to South Africa last year on a two-week Tauck tour and I never felt unsafe or threatened even once. I would just take the usual traveling precautions of not wandering into unsafe areas and watching out for pickpockets, and you should be absolutely fine. Tour companies will do their best to keep you safe, otherwise they lose too many customers. I loved South Africa, and I'm sure you would too, I can't wait to go back again.

May 28th, 2002, 05:32 AM
local

Mary

I would not recommend that you (woman alone) travel through SA on your own but I will not hesitate to recommend that you go with a tour company. If you keep the usual toursit safety rules, eg not walk alone on the beach 11 o'clock at night, you will be OK.

May 28th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Patricia

My friend and I (we are 60-ish women) were in South Africa last month. Loved it, didn't want to leave, felt very safe. We had tours arranged. Our hotel area (in Cape Town) wasn't safe at night (because it was the business district and everyone went home and everything closed down at 5:00 or so--undesirables took to the streets then), but other areas would have been safe. Very safe during the day. Extremely safe on tours. Tell your husband to live a little! We ran into nothing (except the above) that was unsafe or frightening in the least. C.T.'s a beautiful city--reminded me of San Francisco.

May 28th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Lisa

Mary, I think it is wonderful that you want to go to South african and are working undauntedly towards your dream. I would definitely recommend that you go and for many reasons I would recommend a tour group. It will be more interesting, companionable safe and fun. You will meet interesting people. The one issue that you will run into even on a tour group is cost. Traveling as a single makes it much more expensive in terms of accommodation.

My sister mailed me a recent article from the Sunday Times newspaper in Johannesburg which notes how tourism has increased tremendously in SA over the last year as it is viewed as a much safer destination than many other areas of the world.

The advantageous exchange rate of rand to dollars doesn't hurt either!

If you are in a tour group and are aware of your surroundings as everyone suggest, you will be fine. Good advice from Patricia to not stay in the business district. As a tourist you will probably not be going to any areas which are not safe and will probably spend a fair amount of your time in a game reseve where you will only have worry about the wild animals.

Hopefully you can persuade at least one friend to go. You will have the time of your life.

Jul 31st, 2002, 01:12 PM
Phyllis

You should join a travel club for women!

Search this Thread