safety regarding food

Jan 26th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

safety regarding food

can anyone tell me whether it is advisable to take Dukoral for protection against E-Coli when travelling to Morocco.
thanks
Jan 26th, 2013, 01:36 PM

Can't say whether you're more likely to catch E-coli or anything else specifically in Morocco, but why not just travel with whatever meds you might require in case of contracting anything. Doesn't take up much room.

For sure I wouldn't eat street food though many of the open squares are known for various such foods... so whether to or not, that's up to you.

Likewise you can contract E-coli and anything else in western countries, even if not leaving home... seems no one is immune these days.
Jan 28th, 2013, 11:26 AM

It is generally a bad idea to take medications you don't need. I spent three weeks or so in Morocco, ate in a couple of outdoor places, and had no problems. Have your doctor give you a prescription for whatever antibiotic works best in that area and only take it if you need to.
Jan 31st, 2013, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

I realize you should not take un-needed meds but we both had E-Coli while touring India a few years ago and ended up in hospital and we had been very careful. We are leaving in 3 weeks.- I always bring a course of antibiotics but will still havent decided about Dukoral yet.
Thanks

Search this Thread