Search

Safety on Nile Cruise??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety on Nile Cruise??

We are looking at taking a 7 day Nile cruise from Luxor to Luxor..anyone done it? Any suggestions? How did you feel about safety as Americans there?
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:47 AM
P_M

My wonderful Nile cruise on the Crown Jubilee was only 3 days long. 7 days seems a bit too much, but maybe someone else can tell you if it's worth the extra time on a cruise or if that time would be better spent on the land.

You are probably safer in Egypt than in many parts of the US. Don't believe all the garbage you hear from people who have never been there, you will be fine.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM

Safety was never an issue. And, Americans are warmly welcomed.

As to the 7/day cruise, where are you stopping during these days? I ask, as most cruises are 4/days (some only 3, others might be 5). The stops on these cruises are the same, it's just whether you spend an extra night on the boat vs a hotel in either Luxor or Aswan beginning or at end of cruise.

If Luxor-to-Luxor, you might be stopping at the same places more than once.

So, are there other stops besides, Aswan, Kom Ombo, Edfu, Esna (maybe) and Luxor?
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:28 PM

We took a 7 day cruise and found it to be wonderful. No need to pack and unpack at various hotels. We did stay in Cairo hotels at the start and end of our trip, and stayed in Cairo for several days before and after the cruise.

With the additional cruise time we stopped all along the Nile, Aswan, Abu Symbel, Elephantine and Kitchener's Island, Luxor, Kom Ombo, Edfu, Esna, Abydos, Dendara etc. We departed the ship each day on our visits to the various sites and then returned to the ship for lunch, out sightseeing again, then returned to the ship for dinner.

The 7 days on the boat gave us time on board for R & R as well as a morning and afternoon excursion each day. It was a good mix of relaxation and activity.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:36 PM

I forgot to add that we never stopped at the same location more than once. Each day took us to a new town or village. We always felt safe and welcomed. Enjoy the 7 days.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 04:50 AM

Cruise was great.

The only fear I had, was falling in the water and chancing the little ones invading my body parts.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 05:16 AM

baracuda -

Glad to see that the 7/days included Dendera and Abydos, which should be covered for the extra days.

That's the reason I asked, as I've seen itineraries that only do the area between Luxor/Aswan/Luxor - back-n-forth. Not ideal.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Hi Sandi,
Yes, I agree with you. Abydos and Dendara are not to be missed. We flew from Cairo to Aswan and Abu Simbel, then boarded our ship in Aswan. From Aswan we sailed North, as far North as Nagaa Hamadi and Qena, taking in everything along the way. Loved the Valley of the Kings and Queens, as well as Karnak. Later we returned to Cairo. It was great.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:14 AM

Dio you think that 11 million people come to Egypt every year just to have the Egyptians who live along the Nile take potshots at the tourists who ae taking a NIle cruise?

Sorry, I'm just getting grumpy about the total lack of understanding about Egypt & most of the rest of the Mid-Eastern & North African countries.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:16 AM

And furthermore, that the "sail-by shootings" are ignored by the media & travel agents are so intent upon making money that they will put their businesses at risk?