Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Safety Kenya/Tanzania (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/safety-kenya-tanzania-95388/)

Lean Bean Dec 1st, 2000 09:31 PM

Safety Kenya/Tanzania

I am going on Safari in Kenya/Tanzania in Jan. 2001. Can anyone give me "inside" info on safety, visa vie "bandits" etc. while on Safari and while staying at the lodges. (Serena) <BR> <BR>Also, can anyone tell me what weather/migratory/animal viewing conditions are like then? <BR> <BR>Has anyone used African Quest Safaris?

mm Dec 5th, 2000 04:35 AM

We stayed at the Serena lodges at Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro and Serengeti. The service and hotel was good. However, we lost money while we were staying at these lodges. The money was left in our bed room and was tucked away. We assume it was taken while we were having dinner as that was the only time we did not have our bags with us. We don't know at which lodge it was taken. A letter was sent to their headquarter but we did not receive the courtersy of a reply. So while the place may be good and probably most of the people honest, it takes only one person to ruin your vacation. Take the proper precaution.

April Dec 6th, 2000 04:43 PM

If you have your belongings with you on safari try to keep them locked away. One company hauled a tarp covered trailer behind their truck, and robbers just slashed the cover. Shoes were a hot item with the locals, so don't leave them (or anything else) unattended. <BR> <BR>The most serious threat when I was in Tanzania some years back was on the coast. Don't walk on the beach at night or, if you do, go in a group. In Dar es Salaam, leave any jewelry off. It's not worth the risk of having it ripped off your body. That said, I had no problems in Tanzania... except from a tick.

Nancy Dec 12th, 2000 05:38 PM

I felt totally safe in Kenya for 2 weeks in October this year. Recommend not taking any jewelry and don't hang your arm out the window in Naroibi as someone may swipe your watch! So says our tour guide. The camps (permanent tented which I highly recommend rather than lodges) were completely safe. Guards all over the place. One of the best trips I have ever taken.

jo Dec 27th, 2000 05:43 AM

I went to kenya in june. we went to a <BR>number of places, some were in luxury <BR>tents and others in lodges. I felt <BR>totally safe. However I never left my <BR>money or credit cards in the room. I <BR>wuold recommend a money belt or simply <BR>get one of those safari vests with all <BR>the pockets to hold things. i found mine <BR>invaluable for camera, binoculars, film <BR>journal, money ,etc. its like anywhere <BR>else. you dont want to leave temptation <BR>around, especially when its such a poor <BR>country.

lee Jan 2nd, 2001 06:08 AM

Looking for information on tour operators, considering African Horizons, Born Free and Safari Place--any suggestions? Thanks.

Louise Jan 2nd, 2001 10:41 AM

I can recommend Fish Eagle Safaris in Houston. They did an excellent job for our trip.