Search

Seasick on Nile Cruise?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 03:32 AM
Michael

Seasick on Nile Cruise?

I'm about to take a 4 nights Nile cruise in the near future,and it bothers me that is it easy for people to get seasick on the cruise boat (moving in the daylight & docking in the night)? <BR> <BR>Since I'm the kind of the person who easily got dizzy on the boat , I'm very worry about it. <BR> <BR>God bless me....

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 04:31 AM
cb

I get seasick too out on the open sea, even on the mega-ship on the Caribbean and cruising from LA to Mexico. I got seasick riding ferries from one Greek Island another. But I did not on the Nile. The river is calm. There is no side-to-side or bobbing up and down motion. Both sides of the river are visible. But just in case, bring along medication you usually take.

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Dick

Concur with previous posting. Nile River cruise we had in late June was very calm. Only negative point was that we had lower cabin towards rear of boat and had some desiel fumes when boat docked in close proximity to others. Seemed fumes had no where to go. Got much better as trip went. Other than noise of water (being in lower cabin) we often had no idea of being underway. Would certainly go on cruise again.

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 05:57 PM
jodi

I can get seasick in the movies...spent 5 nights and 6 days on the Nile and had barely a twinge. I would suggest the "seabands" if you are a tad worried. I did get sick on one of the bus trips from the boat to the Valley of the Kings. I never felt the need for medication. My cabin was @ water level and I did not look out @ the moving water when I was in the cabin...I kept my eyes on the shore or sky. As I am sure every one has warned you...the salads, fruit cups, and raw vegetables on the cruises are lovely to look at and the crew kept telling you to eat them as they have been was in an antibacterial solution. I smiled sweetly and abstained! Those handling the food are a real source of problems too. So, keep your guard up. And, usually, the bottled water sold on the quayside or docks is half the price of that on the boat. Check it out! Have a marvelous time.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 06:02 AM
Ty

The Nile is quite shallow at most places and, at times, it is so close to land, it almost seems that you can throw a rock over to the land form either side. There is little wind there to cause wave motion so that is no impact either. These are also large flat bottom canal barge type boats. Because of all of the above, you so not feel the rock and sway that you would feel out at sea on a cruise ship or the bobbing feeling that you would experience on a tiny sail or row boat. It's nothing like what we experieced in the Aegean where we were thrown out of our bunks at night by the "bad seas" or how, on a caribbean cruise, the whole 40K ton ship basically shut down activities for the day as passengers and crew alike were seasick due to the rough seas.