Safety in Zimbabwe

Jul 4th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Safety in Zimbabwe

Hi all,
We booked a trip to Zimbabwe months ago, when this year's election dates were still in flux. Now they are due to occur July 31, and we are supposed to be there from apx July 19-July 24.

Should we be terribly concerned? We are flying into Lusaka in preparation for a canoe trip on the Zambezi river, so we are not flying into Harare. Anything we can do to ensure our safety beyond the obvious cautionary measures we take right here at home?

Also, I believe I'm correct in bringing only US dollars for tips while on safari. What about small incidentals? ie food, drinks, small souvenirs?

Thank you! Our trip is nearly here after months of planning!
Jul 5th, 2013, 04:41 AM

So are you going to actually BE in Zimbabwe, or just on the river between Zambia and Zimbabwe? You say that you are entering Zambia via Lusaka, so that's why I'm wondering. Even during the worst of times in Zim, the tourist areas such as Victoria Falls had no issues and most of their game parks also had no problems. I was last there in 2010 and did road transfers from Vic Falls to Hwange and on to Bulawayo. We had no issues other than the occasional police roadblock where a "tip" was expected.
Jul 5th, 2013, 09:29 AM

If you start in Lusaka you will most likely do a road/boat transfer and enter Zimbabwe at the town of Kariba. I would be surprised if you notice anything at all to do with the elections during this transfer. The official currency of Zimbabwe is the US Dollar so that is the best money for tips. Zimbabwe is as safe as any other safari country in Africa.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
2011 & 2012 Travel & Leisure A-List agent for Zimbabwe & Botswana

Search this Thread