Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Safety in Nairobi (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/safety-in-nairobi-561660/)

stvmic Sep 29th, 2005 04:54 PM

Safety in Nairobi

I am in the midst of booking my safari and am very nervous about spending any time in Nairobi after reading many articles and reviews about Nairobi. The final day of our safari we are going to fly back to Nairobi from the Mara and I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to stay for the entire day in the Mara, or fly back to Nairobi and tour around there until the 11:00 p.m. flight. Is it worth seeing Nairobi?

afrigalah Sep 29th, 2005 05:34 PM

Nairobi is worth seeing. We did our 'tourist' jaunts of parts of the city and nearby attractions before going on safari. At the end of the safari, which was all road travel except for the final day, we returned to Nairobi by scheduled flight. As it happened, there was serious trouble between students and police in the city that day but our safari operator (Cheli & Peacock) kept us clear of it. They looked after us until it was time to get our late night flight.

sandi Sep 30th, 2005 06:01 AM

You can stay at the Mara thru lunch (which you'll have to pay extra, as a day goes from lunch to breakfast) and take the 4pm flight to NBO. You'll still have a few hours till your evening departure. You might want to take a taxi to The Norfolk hotel for sundowners and dinner, or to The Carnivore Restaurant for dinner. Then taxi back to the airport.

If returning on the 11am flight, arriving NBO 12:15pm you can arrange with your tour operator to visit often seen sights - Karen Blixen Museum, Giraffe Centre, Kazuri Beads, Utamandani. Or as we did - checked into our day-room at hotel and then went shopping in NBO on our own. Some might be hesitant to do so, but it was a "non-event" - nobody gave us a second glace, nor we them. Of course, we left valuables (no camera, jewelry) back in our room - only had some cash and a credit card in our pockets and off we went.

I wouldn't consider walking around after dark on my own, especially in a strange city regardless whether it's NBO, NYC, Paris or London - go wherever by taxi... it's inexpensive.

For us, this afternoon and then evening at The Norfolk was one of the best days I've ever enjoyed in NBO. Just use good judegement in your decision.

thit_cho Sep 30th, 2005 08:14 AM

I agree with Sandi's suggestions, which would make for an informative and enjoyable day in Nairobi -- Africa is much more than animals and people do live there, and its very interesting, in my opinion, to see the urban landscape.

Nyamera Sep 30th, 2005 08:28 AM

I too agree with Sandi. Walking around Nairobi City Centre at daytime is a “non-event”. At night it’s not advisable, but I don’t take a taxi to go to a restaurant or internet place 100 metres away, and I’m still alive.

Patty Sep 30th, 2005 10:11 AM

Your tour operator can arrange for you to be picked up at Wilson airport, take you to visit some sights around Nairobi, have dinner and drop you off at NBO for your evening flight departure. You'll be very well taken care of.

We walked around the downtown area near our hotel during the day and thought it was fine too. I did what sandi did and basically left any valuables in our hotel safe and just walked around with 1 credit card and enough spending money.

Travelnick Oct 4th, 2005 05:43 AM

Stanley is another hotel option to those mentioned. Very nice service. Rooms are newly renovated in a rather dated way - 80s English 4 star hotel choice of furniture but comfortable enough.
I was certainly advised by work colleagues not to walk around at night - they also drive through red lights at night to avoid car jacking.

Pumbavu Oct 24th, 2005 08:27 AM

Don't forget...

Nairobi has a great Park. See Zebras with tower blocks on the horizon. Take a nature walk to the Hippo Pool (funny there are no Hippos, but Crocs and lots of other wildlife).

The Girrafe Centre at Langatta (feed giraffes from your hand (or if you're brave from your mouth!)

The Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage... dont miss that as an experience!

Go to Carnivore... for Nyama Choma.

Great nightlife too.
And most taxi drivers will keep you safe.

If you want a hotel a little out of the town centre I can recommend the Holiday Inn in Westlands.

Have a shop in the curio shops near the hotel.... or Kenyatta Market for bargains if you haggle!!

If you're there on a Sunday join the congregation at Westlands Baptist Church. (If you see a guy playing a green Fender Strat guitar, that's my friend Marky... say hi to him and he'll introduce you to some people!)

Well worth a visit.

Pumbavu Oct 24th, 2005 08:29 AM

I apologise for my spelling. Written in haste with scant regard for a spell checker.