Safety in Ghana?

Dec 2nd, 2001, 04:21 PM
Eve

Safety in Ghana?

Hello,

I am starting to look into a trip to Ghana by myself (I am a woman).

I have always wanted to go, but am a little concerned about traveling by myself.

Has anyone had any bad experiences in Ghana, and would you say that it is relatively safe for a female traveling alone.

I do, however, plan on taking guided tours around Ghana, so will not be completely by myself.

Thanks so much for your help and advice.

Feb 23rd, 2002, 10:24 AM
Ann

Our 22 year old daughter moved to Accra on Oct 1 by herself without a job, lodging, car, or close friends, having been there one summer 5 years before, and having spent a college semester in South Africa. She has now found a job, apt and car, and made friends Ghanaian and international. She would consider it safe if you are sensible and savvy.

Dec 7th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Jared

I am a man but spent 4 months in Ghana 2 years ago. I travelled throughout the whole country and NEVER felt threatened. I know about 10 women who did the same and would tell you the exact same thing. Go and have a great time. It's a great country and the people are absolutely incredible!

Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:45 AM

I was just in Ghana Dec 2003/2004 and had no problems...female traveling alone. Great people...great place...rich history. Will return in winter 2004/2005. Check the lonelyplanet.com forum. Those folks love Ghana and there is alot of info over there. Also read the Bradt guide to Ghana for those of you out there who are interested.

Search this Thread