Search

Safety in Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety in Egypt

I know this has been written about a lot, and as I'm about to pull the trigger on a trip to Cairo and Nile cruise and maybe few days at the Red Sea thought I'd check for any comments, warnings, reassurances, etc. All are appreciated!! I'm rethinking and could go to Morocco/Spain or Tahiti, but then realize anything could happen anywhere.... so I'm back to Egypt.... Has anyone just come back? Thanks!
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 05:29 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Down the page is a recent thread with exactly the same title.
Safety in Egypt
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 06:22 PM

I recently returned from a month in Egypt. There are a lot of scams, and hustlers. Going outside people will swarm you to try to sell you things, or to try to get you into their cab. This being said, my wife and I never really felt unsafe, just really hassled. If you are mainly doing the Nile river cruise, I wouldn't worry too much, you will be guided from site to site as part of the package. My wife did get harassed a bit when walking alone, so it is best for solo female travelers to take extra caution.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

We're booked for end of March! I am mostly doing the Nile cruise and a bit in Cairo (and London!)... felt okay about it until recent news developments, but oh well.... might get travel insurance just in case.... A month is a long time, I'll only be there 11 days.... we have a tour and my husband, so no solo traveling for me....
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by bellatravel
We're booked for end of March! I am mostly doing the Nile cruise and a bit in Cairo (and London!)... felt okay about it until recent news developments, but oh well.... might get travel insurance just in case.... A month is a long time, I'll only be there 11 days.... we have a tour and my husband, so no solo traveling for me....
I think you will have a great time. Just be wary of scams and hustles, those are the real danger in Egypt.
When you are in Cairo, be sure to check out some of the oldest, and less visited pyramids of Saqqara and Darshur. The red pyramid there is the oldest true pyramid, and going inside of the pyramid is included in the basic admission price, unlike the pyramids at giza.

Last edited by MattNewkirk2; Jan 8th, 2020 at 04:38 AM.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 05:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We are in Egypt now and do not feel unsafe. As mentioned above, the touts are annoying so ignore them. Arrange airport transfers in advance.
Magnificent antiquities both on Lake Nasser and the Nile, mind boggling. I urge you to include Lake Nasser.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks; we have a prearranged tour, so the Nile yes, but not probably Lake Nasser or the lesser known pyramids in Cairo, though I will ask as there may be some flexibility since it's just the two of us... Any word on the opening of the Grand Museum in Cairo?
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 02:53 AM

New Cairo Museum will open next year although we heard a lot of different projections.
The building is very impressive and will display all of King Tut’s treasures for the first time, over 5000 items.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 07:02 AM

although we heard a lot of different projections.
They've been projecting the opening of the new museum since we were there in 2008
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by sf7307

They've been projecting the opening of the new museum since we were there in 2008

Thinking back on our recent trip, I felt safer in Egypt than I do driving around Arizona where 80% of drivers have open carry guns with them.
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by bellatravel
I know this has been written about a lot, and as I'm about to pull the trigger on a trip to Cairo and Nile cruise and maybe few days at the Red Sea thought I'd check for any comments, warnings, reassurances, etc. All are appreciated!! I'm rethinking and could go to Morocco/Spain or Tahiti, but then realize anything could happen anywhere.... so I'm back to Egypt.... Has anyone just come back? Thanks!
Hi, I really love Egypt. I was there six times. And every time a delight!
The Egyptians speak excellent in English. The main thing is not to trust anyone outside you hotel)) And if for the first time then go out with a guide.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 07:34 PM

is it worthwhile to visit inside Tut tomb for an extra US$30 per person.

is it worthwhile to visit inside Tut tomb for an extra US$30 per person.
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 04:36 AM

We just visited the Valley of the Kings. Tut's tomb is very small but, for me, it was worth it as I have heard so much about Tut for so long. Other tombs there are much more elaborate and extensive. Tut's tomb was the least impressive of the four we visited in the area but I figured we paid quite a bit to come to the Valley of the Kings and are unlikely to return.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 10:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We returned a week ago from a two-week trip to Egypt; Cairo, Luxor and Aswan (Abu Simbel). It was amazing and at no time did we feel unsafe. My daughter and I even walked a few blocks in Cairo and weren't bothered (except by the awful traffic!). They're really trying hard to get tourism back after the tourism industry dried up after 2011. Shop keepers will hassle you but that's their culture and it was more annoying than anything else. I would heartily recommend visiting Egypt if it's on your list!