Search

Safety in Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2019, 06:08 PM
kja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do hope this thread doesn't turn into a string of reports of the various terrible events that people have experienced while traveling in Egypt or elsewhere!

@ BDKR: While I appreciate the importance of considering relative risks, I'm sure zebec can speak for himself.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 06:44 AM

If that helps to reassure you I've been to Egypt 3 times(2000, 2003) and haven't experienced any terrible event(OK, I saw a pedestrian getting hit by a car) and I found it a very safe country(like most Islamic countries and most dictatorships). Some travellers may find the large number and presence of armed policemen and soldiers intimidating, but I actually found this reassuring. Most of the recent terrorist attacks target the local Chrstian community and not tourists(even the terrorists could have a brother working in a tourist industry). I hate to say this, but you can actually lower the risk of terrorism if you don't go to churches and monasteries(although those out in the desert are probably better guarded than city churches), or at least don't visit churches during services.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 03:49 PM
kja

@ BDKR: Interesting point - thanks
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 11:17 AM

I was in Cairo now in September.. police and military checking are everywhere..I felt very safe.. car bombngs are alla around the world..look at the shootings in the USA, violence in PParis etc..just go..I wouldnt cancel

have a nice trip
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 05:02 PM
kja

@ doloresmercado: Thanks for reporting on your recent experience!
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got the new GeoEx catalog. The accompanying newsletter has a piece recommending travel to Egypt while tourism is down. Their December trip sounds enticing...
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 07:40 PM
kja

@ thursdaysd: Interesting, and not inconsistent with MmePerud's advice! Thanks for the info
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 08:25 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kja
@ thursdaysd: Interesting, and not inconsistent with MmePerud's advice! Thanks for the info
kja, just returned from Egypt, an amazing experience! We never ever felt unsafe. The antiquities and very healthy food were fabulous. Every single day we experienced a Wow!
I highly recommend a Lake Nasser cruise to visit the antiquities that were saved from the flooding caused by the Aswan Dam. Only two of seven lake cruisers were operating thus no crowds. Access to the sites is from the water only for most of them. We docked right next to Abu Simbel, spent the night and a full day.
We also took a three day Nile cruise to access more ancient sites.
We also traveled to Jordan to continue experiencing ancient and Biblical sites. Also highly recommend a trip there.
Most days we wore winter coats but better than summer’s 120 heat and crowds .
When you visit the Great Pyramid / Cheops make sure you walk behind it to visit the Solar Boat Museum. It houses a large boat with oats from 4500bc that was discovered when the rear of the Pyramid was being cleared of built up sand , It is in incredible condition! The VASA Museum in Stockholm gets a lot of visitors to see a ship found under water in 1628. This one is In better condition, dates to 4500bc, and is so beautiful. There were very few visitors which amazed us! Make sure to save a half hour at
least to visit the Solar Boat. Very well displayed too.
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 08:55 AM
kja

@ HappyTrvlr: I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip to Egypt -- it sounds absolutely wonderful! I know that WHEN I go, I will come back to this post for the details you so generously provide about some of the highlights of your experience -- and I will make sure to plan time for a Lake Nasser cruise and a visit to the Solar Boat. (The VASA is impressive, for sure, but sounds like the Solar Boat is in a completely different league!)

I decided to defer my trip to Egypt until 2021, not because of any safety concerns, but instead because I don't want to miss Cairo's New Egyptian Museum, and I didn't feel confident that it would open before I would be able to go if I went in 2020. Instead, I'll be heading to Cambodia & Laos, and I'm excited about that trip, too!

Thanks so much for your update, HappyTrvlr! I don't believe you generally write trip reports, but I'm sure many of us would welcome one if you were to write one about your time in Egypt and Jordan.
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 09:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kja
@ HappyTrvlr: I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip to Egypt -- it sounds absolutely wonderful! I know that WHEN I go, I will come back to this post for the details you so generously provide about some of the highlights of your experience -- and I will make sure to plan time for a Lake Nasser cruise and a visit to the Solar Boat. (The VASA is impressive, for sure, but sounds like the Solar Boat is in a completely different league!)

I decided to defer my trip to Egypt until 2021, not because of any safety concerns, but instead because I don't want to miss Cairo's New Egyptian Museum, and I didn't feel confident that it would open before I would be able to go if I went in 2020. Instead, I'll be heading to Cambodia & Laos, and I'm excited about that trip, too!

Thanks so much for your update, HappyTrvlr! I don't believe you generally write trip reports, but I'm sure many of us would welcome one if you were to write one about your time in Egypt and Jordan.
kja, the new museum looks beautiful. We will return as we were so surprised how much we liked Egypt in addition to the antiquities. The food is our style of eating, lots of vegetarian and hummus and baba ganoush. The one negative is the touts selling postcards and whatever, very aggressive. We made no eye contact, kept walking!
They also lurk in the Cairo airport trying to sell you a ride. Best to prearrange transport to your hotel.
kja, you are right, I don’t write trip reports but enjoy others reports including yours. I prefer to add comments, answer questions as they arise.
Completely off this topic, but you didn’t understand why I don’t line Athens’Plaka. Too touristy for us. We like to be near Kolonaki where my good friend lived for many years, a real though upscale neighborhood, up the hill from Syntagma Sq and Benaki and Cycladic museums. So Syntagma works for us. Sorry I wasn’t clear.
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 04:31 PM
kja

@ HappyTrvlr: I'm envious of your time in Egypt, but have the advantage of being able to benefit from your advice when I plan my trip. I'm looking forward to almost everything I expect to experience on that trip, except the touts. But I try to remind myself that it's their "job" to try to convince me to buy from them, just as it's my "job" to decline -- and honestly, aggressive touts beat beggars hands down, IMO.

Trip report or no, we are the fortunate beneficiaries of your willingness to share comments and answer questions as generously as you do!

Thanks for clarifying your perspective of hotels in / near Athens' Plaka and Syntagma Square -- I'm sorry if I seemed to be questioning your judgment or experience!