Safety in Dubai

Mar 18th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Safety in Dubai

We are due to travel to the Maldives this coming weekend 22nd Mar staying for 9 nights and then on to Dubai for 5 nights. We are concerned about safety due to the impending war with Iraq. Any reassurance from anywhere?????? The foreign office web site is just saying be vigilent at the moment but may change once war starts.
Mar 18th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Hi - I'm an American expat living in Kuwait (recently evacuated). My husband and I travel to Dubai frequently and make yearly trips to the Maldives via Dubai (most recent trip was last month). Personally, I wouldn't have any qualms about traveling to either country despite the current situation - although both countries are Muslim, I think you'll find that the people are friendly towards Christians and foreigners. Both countries are tourist destinations, and it's been my experience that the residents are quite open-minded.

There's always the chance that you may run into a person or two who is not happy to see you, or perhaps run into a demonstration of some kind, but if you remain alert and respect the customs of your host country, you should have no problems.

I would advise that you avoid the neighborhoods of Dubai and keep to the tourist areas. We inadvertently found ourselves in the middle of an anti-American demonstration in Bahrain not long ago, and it was not a pleasant experience.

Have a great trip!
Mar 18th, 2003, 10:49 AM
serpico

We are due to travel to Hong Kong for 5 nights and then to Dubai for 5 nights starting on the 1st of April for our honeymoon.Unless the British authorities say otherwise we are still going.Dubai is seen as the Switzerland of the Middle East and is some 1000 miles from Baghdad.We know the risks and if its too dangerous,we will just have to cancel our trip.

Search this Thread