safety in CapeTown

Nov 25th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

safety in CapeTown

My daughter, a college student, is considering a study abroad term in CapeTown. We are interested in whether or not she will be safe living there?
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:14 AM

The short answer is that she will be safe living there. Not one member of my family and not one of my close friends, all of whom have been living in CT their whole lives, have ever personally experienced violent crime. However, there are areas where she shouldn't go at night and, for example, taking the train after dark is not a good idea. You do have to be cautious - but every city has its "rules" and as soon as she arrives she will quickly be informed of what not to do etc. I am happy to provide more detail on the & not-to-dos if she decides to go. There is one thing I can say with absolute certainty - she will fall deeply in love with this beautiful city!
Nov 25th, 2003, 01:14 PM

Bob,

If you send me your email address I will put you in touch with 3 sets of American parents and daughters who have done exactly what your daughter intends doing in Cape Town.

Right now I am travelling with a mother and daughter who fall into this category. The daughter spent 6 months at UCT in Cape Town. I acted as her so called "silent parent" on behalf of her mother who initially were as concerned about all that you are concerned about right now. Once I put you in touch with the various peoples let them tell you all. I also want to mention that I agree wholeheartedly with Lisa and I think the people I will put you in contact with will tell you similarly.

Hope this helps.

Selwyn Davidowitz
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Search this Thread