Search

Nothern Kenya

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothern Kenya

If any of you are planning safaris to the northern Kenya area in the near future I would be sure that it is a fly-in safari and not driving. Last week 90 people were killed in the Marsabit region and also a priest killed in Isiolo. Most of these killings were tribal related and probably would not affect tourists. However, with so many bandits being hunted for, it behooves us to be extra safe and fly instead of drive and not take any chances.

I have even contacted Southern Cross safaris about whether or not I should change my Samburu reservations, but they tell me that so far things are fine there and the problems are about 200 miles away from where I will be staying. If things change they will move me elsewhere.

It took two days for the government to respond to the horrible deaths in Marsabit so as you can see, extra care in this area is necessary.

Jan
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 06:35 PM

I hadn't heard about the incident in Isiolo (was aware of the Marsabit one), so thanks for posting this.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 07:03 PM
bwanamitch

Don't panic! The road to Samburu is safe.

I remember a time when I've been in Laikipia in the Central Highlands (1998, after the 1997 elections). One year (!) later I've read that during this summer 1200 people had killed in the Highlands. I saw and heard nothing and felt absolutely safe.

Marsabit is far away from Laikipia or Samburu.

Mitch

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 03:32 AM
sandi

Jan -

Thanks for the heads-up on this for those who hadn't read about the incident in Marsabit... which is quite a distance from Samburu. Don't know the details re the killing of the priest in Isiolo and understand your concern as Isiolo has to be passed thru if driving to Samburu.

I'm sure if there are any other incidents in the closer Isiolo... though I sure hope not... that Southern Cross will do right by you.

If I recall - you'll be leaving in less then 2-weeks (July 30? yes?)... excited again, I'm sure. You'll have another wonderful trip. And we wait to hear all about your Ellees on your return.

Happy travels.

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:25 AM

Samburu is safe! The clashes were localised and a few hundred kms away. The road to Samburu and the park are both very safe. It is one of the best parks in Kenya so my advise - do not cancel - keep the original itinerary.
Have a pleasent safari!

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 12:59 PM

hi jan, wanted to mention. seeing i just came back from visiting tsavo east. also went to go visit bobby at satao camp. out that way it looks like a waste land! so many things look bone white. almost no rain at all this season. i was there in sept as you know, it looks nothing like sept.
now down towards voi gate it is better. but still a bit dry compared to sept.
ok thats it.
thx, david
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Sandi:

Just a week and a half to go! Can't wait for the big bird in the sky to take off!

I really hope things quiet down. Would hate to miss Samburu. As you may recall, I saw more things there last August than I had on six previous trips. I have been in frequent touch with a lion researcher from Samburu and we plan on getting together while I'm there. She says there are more cheetahs there now than usual! Susan would love that. Hope to also meet with some of the students at the local school.

Wildlife has brought me so much closer to so many wonderful people in Kenya that I am really more excited to see them now than I am the wildlife. Of course, I am also hoping to see the old huge bull ele with the long tusks. Am told that as several weeks ago he was still alive. Keep your fingers crossed please.

David - thanks for your note. I know it won't be as pretty at Satao with no rain and everything burned, but that is the time the most animals are around, so I think I'll enjoy it anyway.

Jan
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:38 AM
sandi

Jan -

I'm sure that Samburu will be a go. That the incidents at Marsabit were regional and too far from where you'll be. And I know from your last few trips/reports - Samburu is good and very much to your liking!

Sorry we missed Samburu on our recent trip, though it had been in my original thoughts... till we opted for Laikipia, which was such a great alternative. Not as many ellees, but our experiences with the people was just outstanding... animals kind of took second place, but still always evident.

There are just so many areas I still have on my "must see" list to visit in Kenya... the mind is already contemplating these. But no time set for them... yet! And, of course, the Southern Circuit of Tanzania.

So many places, not enough time or $$$. But we manage, don't we?

Happy travels.

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Jan,
Hope you have a wonderful trip! Will you be in Samburu, Amboseli and Tsavo? We originally had Samburu on our November itinerary too but it ended up getting cut - next time. Like sandi said, too many choices and not enough time or $ to see them all in one trip or 2 or 3
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Safari guide, Sandi, Patty,Dave:

Thanks to all for your "happy trails" wishes. Know I will have a good time. Am also looking forward to some fantastic food. I've never had veggies like I do in Kenya! They are to die for!

Have just ordered a portable DVD player to take with me and am converting all my VCR tapes of prior trips to DVD to show them to friends. The tape that is in now has "my bull" with the tusks almost touching the ground. I'll have to show him to the researchers at Amboseli and to Dr. Iain Douglas-Hamilton in Samburu. There are so few of these big guys around that it makes him truly special. He is certainly a great one to contribute to the gene pool.

Read a paper today stating that South Africa is going to start doing vasectomies on the bulls in Kruger to try and cut down on the numbers!! Will be interesting to see the results of that. Wonder if they will still come in musth despite having "the cut".

Again, thanks to all for wishing me well.

Jan

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:24 PM

hi jan, i have some video of some big bulls at satao. i wonder if you have seen these guys before. if my friend ever gets my computer finished for this tape to dvd thing. i will send you a set.
oh about the "cut",lol. they should still get into that nasty working mood, it should still work. just full of blanks. i should know he-he.
ok talk soon.
d
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 10:10 PM

Jan, have a superb time...I'm sure you will. I was in Samburu in May--ohsobriefly--but did see lots of elephants, and there seem to be lots of calves this year. It was gloriously beautiful. And the elephants in Samburu seem to allow you to get really close, even when they have tiny calves. I met one of the researchers at STE in Nairobi, and they seem to have had good cat action in the area too, so you are in for a real treat.