Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Safety for single female - shark diving in South Africa

Safety for single female - shark diving in South Africa

Mar 25th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Original Poster

Safety for single female - shark diving in South Africa

I want to book a shark diving trip for August this year but am a little worried about going alone. If I go with one of the Shark dive tour companies, do they collect you from the airport and can you organise other activiities aside from the diving? Its a long way to travel for 1 or 2 days diving, however, I dont feel comfortable spending any length of time travelling in SA alone.

Any advise, experiences would be great.

Many thanks
Mar 25th, 2004, 05:02 AM
sandi

We spent 4-nts/3-days in CPT. On our first morning we were picked up by the dive company for the drive to Gaansbai where we had brunch then onto the boat. We were a total of about 12 on the boat, ourselves (a couple), another couple and the rest a group of friends, and 3 crew. Believe this last group were South Africans. And apparently there was a single person in that last group. Everyone got on well - there were many shark sightings, two dives each person - lots of laughs and great photos below and above the water.

At the end of the day we were all driven back to CPT direct to our respective hotels. Whichever company you arrange with, just be certain they know you want a pick-up and a drop-off which should be included in the price. It cost us about USD$100/person for the day at the exchange rate then in '01. Can't say what the current price might be.

Mar 25th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Can you remember which company you used, and would you recommend them?
Thanks
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:17 AM

Beela, would you be able to give us an idea of what you want to do besides shark diving? Would you like to see wild animals in the game reserves? Would you like to see any of South Africa's cities?

August is the southern hemisphere winter. Cape Town is located in the one corner of South Africa that has a Mediterranean climate (warm to hot, dry summers and wet, cool and sometimes windy winters). Cape Town's winter weather is not relentlessly cool and drizzly. One does get some pleasant days in the winter. Nonetheless, while visiting Cape Town in winter is doable, it's not the optimum time, in my opinion.

The southern hemisphere winter, however, is an ideal time to visit the game reserves of Mpumalanga and KwaZulu Natal.

I followed you around Fodors and discovered you live in the UK. That gives you a couple of advantages.

A big one is that you're already used to driving on the left hand side of the road.

Another is that, while you would have a long flight to South Africa, you would not experience too much jet lag, in the sense that South Africa is only a couple of time zones ahead of the UK (and during the UK's daylight saving time perhaps is only one zone ahead).

Also, since you were asking about a 4 month trip around North America, would I be correct in thinking that you are not too constrained by budget considerations? My sincere apologies if all this sounds very intrusive but, in giving advice to folks who make enquiries on travel forums, it helps so much to know their circumstances and what they want to get out of their trips.

Anyway, if you provide some more details of what you want to see and do, folks here will be able to share opinions of how you can go about it.

Search this Thread