safety comfort in morocco

Jul 2nd, 2001, 03:53 PM
michael

safety comfort in morocco

My daughter and a friend are travelling to Morocco in August, and we have been told that it may not be safe or comfortable for two young women on a budget. Should we be worried?

Jul 3rd, 2001, 12:20 AM
kelly

Hi,

I backpacked around Morocco last October as a single female and had no problems at all. It is a wonderful country and the people are very friendly and helpful. Have they traveled alone before? If so I think they will be fine, but one must keep your wits about you as always. Many men will approach them to talk, but if they remain polite and firm with them (I talked to many people, but when I felt I was done, I would just say bye, I am going to walk alone now and that worked fine.) they shouldn't have a problem. They do need to watch out for touts/guides who can be a hassle trying to get you into their stores etc.

I'm sure they will have a great trip. Please email me if you have any other questions.

Kelly

Jul 4th, 2001, 07:39 AM
texasgirl

I agree with Kelly, they should be fine if they keep their wits about them. I do hope they have traveled alone at least a bit and this isn't their first big trip abroad. Most people they'll meet will probably be very gentle and friendly but there is definitely some of the hustling variety, as in every tourist destination on earth, and they can be quite persistent.
Another thing, it will be very hot, but it will help if they dress conservatively _ i.e, loose capri pants, longer skirts and shirts rather than tank tops or shorts or tight clothing. Moroccan women tend to dress very conservatively and i noticed that Western women dressed in a provocative manner attracted more unwanted attention than those dressed plainly.

Jul 4th, 2001, 05:25 PM
elvira

Three of us (girl types) traveled in Morocco with no problems, except for the aforementioned touts/guides. DON'T hire them; if your girls need a guide, tell them to go to the tourist office or ask at the hotel (licensed guides). We had some wonderful interactions with people on trains, restaurants, etc. and never felt uncomfortable. As suggested, the girls should dress conservatively. American women, at home, laugh and giggle and are - er - boisterous in our bearing. Tone it down a notch or two; they'll fit in better.

And wear sunblock; an added bonus of conservative dress is less exposure to desert sun.

And budget isn't hard to do in Morocco; costs are pretty low so good accommodations and food are affordable.

If they take trains, second class is fine (chance to "mingle" with Moroccans; women tend to ride in the same compartment); if taking overnight trains, take first class. It's not expensive, and they'll probably have the car to themselves.

Search this Thread