Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   safety camping serengeti (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/safety-camping-serengeti-576688/)

sonali74 Dec 16th, 2005 07:36 PM

safety camping serengeti

guys, I have never camped in the serengeti at the special campsites. Is it safe??? What prevents a lion from walking right into your tent.

luangwablondes Dec 17th, 2005 01:48 AM

As long as you keep the tent zipped up, it is normally quite safe. Even opportunists like hyenas don't challenge the tent. There are many stories/pictures (my experiences too)like lions walking through camp,camp inspections while you watch, but we-you- just don't seem to be on the menu. This generally holds till tourists do something stupid, which is only once. So they say, don't run. Don't hunch over like an antelope. Don't stare a lion in the eyes and if you must run, be sure that you aren't the slowest. When they talk about dead last, you'll know what it means. They are cats, but they are not kitties.

It is all part of your safari experience. It can happen, happens to a few and its all about listening to your guide and following his instructions. Hakuna matata.

sonali74 Dec 17th, 2005 03:02 AM

Thanks alot. I also wanted to know whether the moru area gamedrives are only allowed for the people camping at moru. I have heard something like that. Is it true???? There are some regions u can go off road in serengeti. Do u know which areas are these.

Patty Dec 17th, 2005 08:02 PM

sonali,
I am curious. Do you know if the park service provides a ranger at the special campsites or are you 'on your own'? When we camped in the Mara and on Ndarakwai, we had a ranger in the evenings though sometimes I wonder if it's necessary or just to make the clients feel better.

sonali74 Dec 17th, 2005 08:19 PM

Patty Can u believe it??? I have no idea. My outfitter is doing everything. I think I should put a post to eben about moru area being accessible only to people camping there. Also I think in some areas in southern and eastern serengeti u can drive off road. I would love to do a game drive around these areas in february.

Patty Dec 17th, 2005 09:02 PM

Who is your outfitter if you don't mind me asking?

sonali74 Dec 17th, 2005 09:37 PM

It's perfectly alright. I book through sunny safaris,arusha. Which part of the world do u live in??? Come to India if u like birds and wildlife.

Patty Dec 17th, 2005 09:45 PM

Is Sunny the same outfitter you used last time? I've heard good things about them.

I live east of Los Angeles. Where in India do you live? I'm afraid I'm too Africa obsessed at the moment but eventually I'll make it to India :) My sister was there in June this year and loved it. She had a friend living in Bangalore and they traveled all through southern India.

sonali74 Dec 17th, 2005 10:06 PM

Yes I used them last time. They are good.I know the owner feroz very well.I live in a place called ahmedabad,which is in the same state gujarat that has the asiatic lion. I have been to LA and the east coast, you guys have lovely weather. South India where ur sister went is very beautiful. The back waters of kerala are amazing, also there are many temples,palaces and hill stations. Which parts of africa have u been to??? I would be really interested to know when to go in which regions in africa from u.

sonali74 Jan 14th, 2006 02:19 AM

Hi Jiman hope this helps, Sonali.