Search

Thinking of Planning a Trip & I Have Some Questions:

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of Planning a Trip & I Have Some Questions:

Hello!

I am new to this. My Mom and I want to plan a vacation to Africa. We need to figure out some basics so that we can make a plan to save enough money to be able to go. We would like to go in January or early February 2006 (unless we need more time to save money). So, we just need to figure out a few basics to get us on our way to being able to afford the trip.

1. Is January/ February a good time to visit Africa? I was thinking about Tanzania unless someplace else would be better at that time of year.
We moslty want to see as much nature & wildlife as possible.

2. How much should we budget for the trip?
I know prices will change by then, but we need a guideline to start our saving plan. We would like to do 7 - 10 days. We definately want a guide that will meet us at the airport and stick with us 'til we are dropped off back at the airport. We also want to stay in lodges or hotels (mom would be miserable camping!).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 12:47 PM
blacktie

Suggest you use the information on this site to select the place and decide on location. Then you need to contact a travel agent specializing in the place you want. There will be no subsitute for solid work on your part, and if you research this site, you will find a lot of valuable information.

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 01:03 PM
sandi

eibphoto -

For a budget trip, many first timers, like working with:

www.2afrika.com

check their site to get an idea of the itineraries they offer, where they visit, type of accommodations, and cost. 2Afrika, also offers reduced price airline tickets, so don't forget to check the airfares on the site. Bear in mind prices for both air and land change from year-to-year - but at least you'll have an idea of how much loose change goes into that piggy bank.

Regarding your comment re "camping" - this doesn't necessarily have to be part of a budget trip, but if you can get an itinerary that gives you accommodations, at least for 2-nights in permanent tented camps - you'd have a true African experience. There is nothing like sleeping under canvas in Africa and these tents have flush toilets right in the tent - no walking some distance in the middle of the night. Surprisingly these tents are more than comfortable and have just about all you need for a good nights sleep and that little extra when visiting Africa. We're not talking pup-tents, if that is what you were thinking.

As to Jan or Feb, yes, they are good, especially late Jan thru early February when the wildebeest "calving" season occurs in the Serengeti.

Also do a "search" on this board for itineraries and comments re travel to Tanzania so you have an idea of what to expect, and questions to ask of 2Afrika or any tour operator.

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks sandi!

I had no idea that there were tents with toilets in them! That would probably go over well with mom
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 01:53 PM
sandi

eibphoto - and they flush!