Israel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Judy

Israel

I'm going to Jerusalem and Tel Aviv in March, 2002, and would love to get recommendations on Tel Aviv hotels, restaurants and touring opportunities for English speaking tourists of the Jewish persuasion. Also, as a single woman, would like info on where / what to avoid.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Faina

Judy, I stayed in a hotel, not sure what the name, on Zamenhoff St at Dizenhoff. It's a part of "Atlas" hotels, try a search. Very contemporary hotel with a wonderful breakfast buffet... ahhhh, Israeli food A beautiful square with a musical fountain is next to the hotel, at 9 pm listen to the music. This area is absolutely safe.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Lisa

We stayed at a great "boutique hotel", the Abratel Suites on Gila(?) street near the Opera Towers. It was 20 yards from the main street along the beach front( I forget its Name). Gorgeous decor.It had different sizes of rooms or suites depending on your needs. The management could not have been nicer. Great continental breakfast.<BR>http://www.abratel.com/ is the website. The rooms are actually nicer in real life than in the photos. I am sure that rates are negoiatiable. The rates posted were what we paid in high season (and better times.)<BR>

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 08:54 AM
AA

<BR>Judy,<BR>Tel Aviv is a safe city. You can walk on your own at night and feel pretty safe. However, the location of Abratel Suites, on 3 Geula St would not be my first choice. Other then the beach, this location is not the best part of town. <BR>I would much rather follow Faina's choice. The hotel she recommends is called Cinema Hotel (it used to be an old movie theater). It was opened last year so everything is new, and unfortunately because of the situation in Israel, and the low number of tourists, not much in use. The location, also not on the beach is very good. Right in the center of town.<BR>Other nice Atlas Group hotels are Tal, Basel and City.<BR>All those hotels are reasonably priced hotels. The nicer more expensive hotels (all near the beach on great loctions) are: Dan Hotel, Sheraton, Hilton. You might get pretty good deals in them because of the situation. It is worth trying. <BR>If you need more advice, feel free to approach me on my e-mail address. I live in Tel-aviv.<BR>AA

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 09:12 AM
AA

Judy,<BR>I forgot!<BR>Tours - Egged Tours or United Tours.<BR>Restaurants - tell me what kind of food you like and if has to be Kosher. I'll recommend once I know.<BR>AA

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 02:38 PM
j

My husband and I have plans to go to Israel this coming Sunday for two weeks. If anyone is there now or has been there recently and could tell us what it is like there now (both of us have been there many times before), we would appreciate it. Thanks.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 04:34 AM
AA

j,<BR>It really depends where you are planning to stay and what are you planning to do. Could you be more specific?<BR>AA

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 08:17 AM
j

I was talking more about the mood in Israel right now than about particular places to go. People have told me that everyone is extremely tense and depressed. Is this true? What businesses particularly need our support?<BR><BR>We are spending most of our time in and around Tel Aviv, the Kinneret and the Golan. We are going to Jerusalem for one night and going to the Kotel and the Israel Museum. We may go to Eilat. We are not planning on taking any buses. Any advice is appreciated in light of the current situation. Thanks.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Faina

J, my friends in Israel asking me the same only reversed question: is it true that after 9/11 most americans are depressed? You will get as many different answers on mood and depression as many people you ask. Or maybe even 2:1

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 10:57 AM
AA

<BR>J,<BR>You are asking a tough question to which I would love to answer in detail, but not on this message board. If you want to know more, do write to my above mentioned e-mail address and I will gladly furnish you with all the details.<BR>I was born in Israel and live here almost all my life.<BR>AA

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Judy

AA: Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your opinions on the hotels. I had already checked into the Basel and to be frank, they want almost as much as the Dan Panorma. I thought prices would be lower than they are. (Everyone wants $80-$100 a night). Also, as far as United, and probably Egged, are concerned, no one will commit a tour since "there aren't any tourists here." I find that said. Since I'm unemployed, I also don't have the money for private tour guide. However, I have no problem taking bus and book up the coast to Acco, etc., and if I must, so be it. If you can find a web site for the Cinema, I would like to check them out. They did not come up on my search (I don't believe).<BR><BR>Todah Rabah!