Safe Traveling? - Kili climb

Mar 23rd, 1999, 12:39 PM
nicole

Safe Traveling? - Kili climb

This August I plan to climb Kilimanjaro with my brother and Uncle. After hearing about travelers being killed in Uganda and Somalia, I am wondering if anyone has heard of safety issues for travelers in Tanzania?

Mar 24th, 1999, 07:12 AM
Bly

Nicole: We're leaving tomorrow for Mombasa and Serengeti/Ngorogoro flying through Kimimajaro airport. According to our tour op, "Tanzania is a very stable country. It does not support rebel groups or dissidents in neighboring countries and is very neutral and respected and is therefore not a target." This was sent the day after the incident occurred. Of course, they are also the ones taking our money. I'll be back in mid-April if you want to contact me and I'll let you know what the feeling was while we're there.

Apr 1st, 1999, 03:46 AM
Andy

Nicole,

I visited Tanzania last August and had a great time. We climbed Kili, went on safari and stayed on Zanzibar, having no trouble at all. It's perhaps wise to stay away from the border areas in the north-west and from the associated refugee camps.

Kilimanjaro really is excellent.

Apr 5th, 1999, 06:56 PM
TC

Nicole, Take a look at the State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs web site at http://travel.state.gov This site gives a detailed report on every country. Look at the "consular reports" instead of the "warnings". These reports give specific information on the stability of countries with "potential" for danger BEFORE it happens. Warnings only usually appear AFTER an incident. Hope this helps with your decisions.

Search this Thread