Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   safe to go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/safe-to-go-630613/)

css Jul 13th, 2006 05:30 AM

safe to go?

Planning a family trip in August. Is it still safe to go? Thanks

sandi Jul 13th, 2006 05:34 AM

To where in August?
Africa and Middle East are very big.
Which country/ies?

thit_cho Jul 13th, 2006 06:53 AM

I wouldn't go to southern Lebanon.

sandi Jul 13th, 2006 09:42 AM

Michael -

... you're too funny!
another place where one has gotta keep their head down! or just not be there!

css Jul 13th, 2006 04:23 PM

Sorry , thought my heading was Israel. Is it safe to go to Israel?

artlover Jul 13th, 2006 06:23 PM

DD is in Israel now...and, despite the fact she just called and said she's "fine" and that e-mailed that things in Jerusalem are ok, I'm very nervous. Am glad she's leaving in 10 days, but maybe I'm overreacting and just being "a Jewish mother", but I don't know that I'd want her to go the way things seem to be going the last few days. Hopefully things will change (for the better) SOON. Of course no place is ever entirely safe, and I hope some others can provide some reassuring thoughts (I sure could use some now!), but I can understand your hesitation in going the way things are now.

(BTW I lived in Israel many years ago for 6 months and know that these conflicts are in areas outside the usual tourist route, but I'm still nervous.)

Good luck in whatever you decide. It's a hard call. I know.

africnow Jul 14th, 2006 01:40 AM

artlover -
I just answered css on his/her second post. This is for you. Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and most of the country are just fine. Daily living continues as always. No change, no danger.

Together with that, I would not, regretfully, recommend that anyone visit the far north of the country at this time.

Wait a week and it may well all change of course. If Hiz B'Allah is successfully pushed out of south Lebanon and the Lebanese army moves in it will be safer than any where else in the world today.

artlover Jul 14th, 2006 12:03 PM

africnow,
Thank you so much for your response. I was having a panic attack when I responded yesterday, and today am much calmer, and your response helps as well. (I even goggled the map of Israel to reassure myself that there is quite a distance between the Lebanese border and Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.) I have also tried to NOT read the news--they have a way with sensationalism that, while it gets ones attention and sells papers (which is the point), can cause irrational and unnecessary worry.

css,
I think africnow has good advise. Also, my best friend (when I called her during my panic attach) pointed out that they'd get the kids out if there was immediate danger to them, and likewise, I doubt they'd let you in if it was truly dangerous.

africnow Jul 14th, 2006 02:08 PM

artlover

Perhaps it would help to watch the English news on Israeli TV? Or listen to the English news broadcasts on the radio? They are on the internet: http://reka.iba.org.il/

artlover Jul 14th, 2006 02:46 PM

(Or no news at all?) Just came home from shopping and there was a message on the answering machine from DD in Jerusalem...didn't talk, but she said all is fine there...

But thanks for the suggestion africanow. Some people have suggested New Zealand news as a better source, but for the most part, about all I can seem to handle these days is Jon Stewart:D

sunshine007 Jul 15th, 2006 01:52 AM

I live in Cairo and usually respond to these questions by saying that of course it is safe here -- that you are as safe or safer in Egypt than the London subways. The odd bombing doesn't scare me away.

But I make an exception for countries where sustained bombing is going on. I think that Israel & Lebanon & Palestine qualify under that criteria now. Who knows what will be going on in 4 weeks? Will the bombing get worse? better? Will you end up like the travelers in Lebanon who had to flee the country?

I do think that there is a difference between actually being in a place and planning to go to one, too. When you are there you know what the situation is like & can weigh the risks. That's hard to do half way around the world.

africnow Jul 15th, 2006 06:45 AM

It certainly is a good idea to listen to the news and to keep abreast of current events. I asnswered above according to current events, and as I noted, this can change at any time.

Today Tiberias was hit for the first time.

A warning has been published that the hizbollah has missles that can hit further south.

So - yes, the central and southern parts of Israel today are safe. Will that be true tomorrow? I don't know, nor does anyone else.

For anyone planning on a trip anywhere it is always a good idea to keep up with the situation at their destination for a couple of weeks before the trip. Israel and the mideast are no different, perhaps even more important, this being such a volatile area.

Anyone that has an interest can listen to the English language radio on the net. The URL is posted above.

Joliefleur Jul 15th, 2006 08:51 AM

I'm also watching things closely. I'm taking a tour to Jerusalem in late Sept and now is the time when we have to make a decision about whether or not to cancel. I'm of the opinion that this region will ALWAYS be in conflict so the current regional strife shouldn't be a reason for me not to go to Jerusalem and southern Israel. I'm leaning towards going anyway. My son and daughter-in-law are beside themselves with worry and would love to chain me to the nearest bedpost until October.

africnow Jul 15th, 2006 09:05 AM

Joliefleur

:) Chaining won't work when you really want something badly enough!

Any chance of contacting the necessary parties and seeing if you can't extend your decision for a couple of weeks because of the situation?

Or at least getting a firm reservation without penalty payment if this should become a full-fledged war and you have to cancel for that reason?

HLester3 Jul 15th, 2006 03:05 PM

sunshine007 - Since you live in Cairo, do you think that Cairo will continue to be friendly to Americans if this conflict intensifies? We will be in Cairo on our way to Kenya for 2 days in the middle of Sept. I am waiting it out at this point because I really want to go. But on the other hand, it is high season in Kenya and I don't want to be left without a place to stay if we have to change our plans. We will be traveling with out two young children, so I am probably more cautious than I would normally be about these things.
Thanks, Heather

Jacksons Jul 15th, 2006 03:16 PM

We too are travelling to Cairo soon. We leave in mid-august. Any thoughts you have would be great. My husband and I are not worried, but we are keeping and eye on things via the news. Of course, as already stated, it is hard to get a real feel for things from here in DC. We SOOOO want to go on our trip and are really looking forward to it.

Thanks for any info you can add...
R.

africnow Jul 15th, 2006 04:09 PM

I'm not in Cairo, but I am an Israeli.
I can't see any reason at all to worrry about Egypt becoming involved in this situation.

sunshine007 Jul 17th, 2006 04:37 AM

I agree with Africnow. Egypt is being a mediator in the situation now. It sees itself as a point man in the middle east with good relations with everyone involved, including Israel. At this point I don't believe that it will change.

I also don't think that the Egyptians opinion of Americans will change. They are able to differentiate between a government's policy (they don't like the US government's policy in Iraq) and the people. They're quite fond of Americans.

The only thing I would recommend is not going to South Sinai (Dahab, Sharm & Nuweiba) over Egyptian political holdays. The last three years there have been bombings there on the Egyptian political holidays. They were meant to disrupt the Egyptian economy which they hoped would cause the overthrow of the present government & install a fundamentalist government.

I just tried to find the political holidays, but my cell phone calendar won't cooperate. I'll try to remember to send them later.

And remember, these are only predictions.....;

TroyMan Aug 26th, 2006 02:43 PM

You will feel and be safer in Isreal than you are here in the USA.

unaS Aug 27th, 2006 01:34 AM

Well css? Did you come? Are you here? Hope that you are having a great time!

In general it can be said that Israel today is just as safe as it was before the latest war with the Hizbolluh.

Welcome and enjoy.

PS - <i>Troy</i>
That is Is - ra - el.