Safe flying to Dar es???

May 4th, 1999, 10:31 AM
Bob

Safe flying to Dar es???

Going to Zanzibar in June/July to do medical volunteer work. Need recommendations on flights via either Zurich on Swissair or Gulf Air via Muscat direct to Zanzibar. Any thoughts on going via Nairobi, then Kenya Air to Zanzibar. Have heard customs in Dar es is
"nightmare" Thanks!!!

May 4th, 1999, 09:40 PM
April

I'm wondering what you heard about customs there. I flew in and out of Kilimanjaro airport and found it an 'interesting' experience. The customs officials were quite sloppy with passports, giving the wrong ones back to people. At the time, yellow fever shots were not required, but they insisted that they were, so that those without had to pay a bribe.
They were really picky about how much money you took out of the country to the point of leaving you with not even enough to buy a proper snack in the airport. On the way out I was frisked. All this seemed rather matter of fact though, so it was less bothersome than some of the attitudes I've encountered at the Canadian/US border. Good luck with your work in Zanzibar. It's a great place.

Search this Thread