Safe & Romantic to Honeymoon in SA?

Jun 1st, 2000, 11:49 AM
Hilary

Safe & Romantic to Honeymoon in SA?

Hi All,
My fiance and I are going to be travelling to SA for our honeymoon at the end of this month for two weeks. We have chosen to go to Hermanus, Cape Town (Ellerman House), 2 nights on the Rovos Rail and then on safari at Singita. It has been a life-long DREAM of mine to go to Africa and we are very excited. However, as one can imagine, the safety (or lack there of) in CT has made me a bit uncomfortable. I live in NYC and think it is actually quite safe here--but I also don't take chances (going into unfamiliar or poor neighborhoods, don't take the subway late at night etc...), is CT more dangerous than it is here? I have indicated to my fiance that I would like a car and driver (nothing fancy at all--more of a tour guide) to take us around rather than our trying to drive CT & CT to Hermanus ourselves (safety)--what are your thoughts on that? Also, what about immunizations? We have received a Hep. A vaccine, and are scheduled for tetanus and typhoid (along w/ malaria pills)--is there anything else we need? Any input on the Ellerman House and Hermanus & Rovos Rail? Was there much damage to Kruger w/ the flooding?

Many thanks for any advice that you can offer--we are so looking forward to this trip!

Jun 1st, 2000, 02:35 PM
susie

Is Rovos rail running? someone told me it is not at this time.
Be aware of your surroundings. Ask at the hotel if the places you plan to go to are safe. Hermanus should be fine. I don't know where the Ellerman is in CT.
Drive with your windows closed and doors locked at all times in CT and move on at a traffic light if you feel unsafe. Don't wear any jewellery!!!!!
I grew up in CT and was there for 2 weeks last year and all was fine for me, but I was cautious. There is a post with the name of a guide and I might take this route if I were you. Visit the wine country. Remember it is winter and most places do not have central heating. If you walk on the beaches take care.
Hermanus is a quiet little town with a great beach and charm. Have fun.

Search this Thread