Safarinut - Itinerary woes

Sep 6th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Safarinut - Itinerary woes

Having spent days trying to plan our first trip to Africa, I finally found this wonderful site ... and the knowledgeable Safarinut and other valuable contributors. We will be in Southern Africa for 3 weeks in August and plan 3 nights in CapeTown followed by 3 nights in Phinda; 3 nights at Londolozi, 2 nights at Vic Falls; 3 nights at Makalolo Plains.... and then the questions: 3 nights at Sandibe or 2 at Sandibe and 2 at Camp Moremi or 2 at Nxabega and 2 at Sandibe??? We simply can't tell from the guide books etc how different these Delta/Moremi locations are. We also don't want to spend all our time transferring from spot to spot. Suggestions would be a lifesaver! Thanks much
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:36 PM

hi dans dusty, i have not been to the particular camps that you mention in botswana, but i have been to several other camps in moremi, okavango and chobe regions so maybe i can shed some insite. given the fact that you are travelling to several different areas, i would suggest visiting just 1 camp that combines water and land activities close to the moremi game reserve bc that will get you a feel for the okavango experience as well as the great game of moremi without having to have another stop. spending 3 nights at a camp like little vumbura will allow great game viewing and okavango mekoring.
on a separate note, i am curious why you chose makololo plains in zimbabwe. i'm curious bc one tour operator suggested it ot me recently but i cant seem to find anyone thats been there. only place that anyone seems to visit anymore in zim is vic falls. but reading about makololo has gotten me intrigued so any info would be appreciated. thx
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:28 AM

We spent 2 nights at Sandibe and 2 at Nxabega in May and LOVED both, because they were so different. Nxabega was VERY water-based. We had better game viewing at Sandibe, but then others here who stayed in both camps only a couple weeks later had reverse game-viewing experiences. Sandibe has some water activities, but there is much more land. The guides we had at both were wonderful, particularly Boyce at Sandibe. I'd go back to Sandibe for a longer stay just for him. Rams at Nxabega was also excellent. We thought the management at Sandibe was much more personal, but then our butler at Nxabega was a terrific gal. And Sandibe is a semi-permanent rondeval
"cottage" (that hardly seems descriptive enough -- think soaring thatch ceilings suspended canopy over the bed, double decker deck, huge screened wall-windows and a really cool outdoor shower) and Nxabega is a large tent with a small reed building housing your ensuite bathroom to be entered via the zippered rear "door" of your tent. Food in both camps was quite excellent.
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:27 PM
JamesEOA

DansDusty,
As a frequent traveler to Bots, I would agree with bigcountry and recommend a camp which offers water and land and spend 3 or 4 days at the camp.

The Vumbura concession has had outstanding sightings this year (especially Cheetah) and also offers a year-round water experience. The flood levels will be low enough in August to allow driving on all thre roads. Nice fishing, regular sitatunga sightings, lots of buffalo and excellent general game (especially giraffe) are highlights.

If you really want lions - go to Duba Plains (located in the same concession to the east). Duba will practically guarantee lion/buffalo interactions.

Camp Moremi is almost entirely a water-based camp (although drives are offered). Nxabega is a lovely camp which offers a good water/land combination.

Feel free to email me if you'd like further thoughts Cheers.

Search this Thread