Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Safari video, making DVD, an example (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/safari-video-making-dvd-an-example-771125/)

cary999 Mar 5th, 2009 02:56 PM

Safari video, making DVD, an example

Hi All-
I’ve been trying to finally finish the DVD of my 2008 safari. After every safari I make a DVD that plays on any TV. It has both still photos and video clips on it and is like “this was my safari”. So when friends, family, whomever want to know what a safari is like and see pictures I give them the DVD to play at home at their leisure. It is meant to be most of all entertaining. I expect this DVD will play for less than 30 minutes.

We discussed here a few days ago about shooting video and making DVDs using a PC editing program just like what I’m trying to finish now. I use Proshow Gold to pull it all together. Since I was able to put up on Mediafire web site sample of songs I use ( http://tinyurl.com/cnr9cf ) I thought I’d also try putting up a video sample of the DVD I’m making. The file is titled “Safari 2008 exp.mpg” and plays for 4 mins. It is the opening title, getting to Kings Camp, the bungalow and two lion scenes. Here is link- http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1ymjmnzayzn It is a mpeg-2 type file that you must download and then play. It will not play directly “live” from the site as like Youtube does. When you select down load you can probably (depends on your PC) choose to play after loading or save to file. Either way works. (Just like the afore mentioned songs).

Now, the good news is that it is in mpeg-2 format/coding. The most common of all video formats. So it will play on any PC and even TV if put inside the DVD format container. And it is of respectable quality, it has not been compressed to death, only somewhat (1200 Kbps). The bad news is that since it is mpeg-2 it is a large file considering since it plays for only 4 minutes. The file size is 42 MB. On my slow, lower end DSL connection it takes 12 minutes to download.

If you try it, let me know if it works ok for you or not. And of course how you like it.

Regards – tom

amycyma Mar 5th, 2009 05:54 PM

Tom
I tried the link but not sure how to go from there. I also don't really have the time to figure it out now, but I do want to see your video, so I am basically bookmarking this, and hope that i can figure it out when i have more time.

But thanks for posting it.

Amy

cary999 Mar 5th, 2009 06:20 PM

Ok, thanks Amy for letting me know you tried and are interested. What browser are you using?

For me (using Firefox browser) the link opens up with a page having a little yellow window saying "Click here to start download.." Click on it and on my PC I get another window adding whether I want to "Open with" or "Save to disk". This is what I get using Firefox browser. I'm not sure what it might look like with IE or other browsers. Or, after you click "Click here to start download" your PC may be set up to simply start downloading the file without asking you. If that seems to be happening, let it do it/run for say 15 minutes and see if the movie starts automatically.

If I choose "Open with" the file will download and be played by what ever program is specified there. If I choose "Save to disk" the file will be down loaded onto my hard drive and then after downloading I have to go to it and open it.

Whew, can be messy if you've not done it before.

regards -tom

twaffle Mar 5th, 2009 08:39 PM

Hi Tom, I have downloaded your file but I run Macs and none of my programmes will run the file. I haven't given up and will let you know if I can get it to work.

I use iMovie to make my safari DVDs which works pretty well. It is a great thing to keep and watch over the years.

cary999 Mar 5th, 2009 09:12 PM

Twaffle - Thanks for trying and getting back to me. The file is plain old mpeg-2 that should run easily. BUT, Mac wants its own Apple QuickTime movie files. A little googling on the matter, http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/ , looks like you have to add Apple software to play mpeg-2,-1,-4 files. Too bad because these file types are very common outside of Apple. Just curious, can you view Youtube movies?

Let me know how it goes. This is what I was afraid of. There can be too many problems with browsers and coding.

Here's a thought. I could make this file into a DVD package that you would burn onto a DVD and then play it on your TV. Can you burn DVDs on your Mac? Think I'll play with that.

regards - tom

twaffle Mar 5th, 2009 11:51 PM

Thanks Tom. I can view Youtube videos and also vision using Media Player. I can also burn DVDs on my Mac, no problems. There is bound to be a 'work around' to the mpeg-2 problems using something else. There nearly always is. I shall go searching this weekend because I would like to see your safari av … you can get all sorts of inspiration from other peoples work. Without copying, I hasten to add! :D

I try to keep my safari DVDs to 30min but it is very hard. The first one I did was over an hour and everyone was ok with it but I did show it with an old fashioned intermission! Now they are only 30 mins and I get a better reaction.

Now I am going to use the 'Preview' feature to check my smilie!!!!

cary999 Mar 6th, 2009 01:50 AM

Well, my brilliant idea to make a file to download and then burn into a DVD fizzled out. The DVD files have to be in a folder titled Video_TS. But browsers (all types) can not download folders. There is another work around this but it is getting more complicated !!! Actually some DVD players will play mpeg files so that might work also. Burn a DVD of the file and pop it into DVD player. ???

You have -Windows- Media Player? Can you try playing the file using it? Do you get only audio? You did save the file to your hard drive?

Now I'm thinking that the older mpeg-1 coding might be more universal than mpeg-2. So I have deleted the original file and replaced it with Safari 2008 mpg1.mpg. It uses mpeg-1. Try downloading and saving to disk and running it.

Like you say, showing vacations photos for more than 5 minutes is risky business:-) Your photos communicate a lot more to your than they do to someone who was not there. So the photos have to pretty much stand on their own and be very interesting. My safari DVDs run from about 30 to 40 minutes and that seems about right. I try to make it entertaining, a bit fast paced, lot of variety.

I'm going to look at other coding for Apple. Like QuickTime. Aha, I see my encoder (TMPGEnc) will code to Apple QuickTime!!! Outstanding, I'll make another movie file with QuickTime and post it up along with the mpeg-1 file.

I've been doing this and have to find a codec for the QT. Tomorrow, Friday. This is areal learning exercise :-) Thanks for helping.

regards - tom

cary999 Mar 6th, 2009 02:55 AM

Just found a codec to try with QuickTime. It is mpeg-4. So there is now also a file at that mediafire location named Safari 2008 mpg4.MOV

<b>NOTE</b> - the link in my <b>first posting</b> no longer works since I deleted that original file. Use this one - http://tinyurl.com/bvglqp
The two files will pop up in blue, Safari 2008 mpg1.mpg and Safari 2008 mpg4.MOV. Click on the file name and the download window will pop up.

Some PCs, like mine, will play either type of file. The PC/Mac just has to have the correct decoder -and- apply it to the file.

Whew, the learning opportunity continues :-) Thanks anyone for trying with me!!!

regards - tom

jmartmd Mar 6th, 2009 06:29 AM

I was able to view your video and thought it was very well done. I liked the piece with the lion at the end. Good start---I liked the music a well.

cary999 Mar 6th, 2009 07:10 AM

thanks jmartmd - which Safari 2008 file did you use, on a PC or Mac, and do know what "program" played it? Might help others who run into problems. Thanks again.

regards - tom

Irongirl Mar 6th, 2009 07:38 AM

Great video! I used the mpg1 file and viewed it in Windows Media. That was an amazing lio. When he started roaring at the end, it freaked out my dog and she came running in to see what was going on!

Only 122 days 6 hours until our first safari. People's trip reports, blogs, photos and videos are helping me to count down the days.

cary999 Mar 6th, 2009 12:23 PM

Ok, thanks IG, worked for you also, great.
122 days, about mid July huh. Well, you'll be there about 6 weeks before I am.

regards - tom

spassvogel Mar 6th, 2009 12:43 PM

I cannot get to anywhere and I am using Firefox as well.
A pity as I would be interested to see your video especially as the whole process you describe to create the DVD sounds marvelous!

I also go to Kings camp and therefore I am even more curious ;-)

SV

cary999 Mar 6th, 2009 01:36 PM

SV - you're using the last link-
http://tinyurl.com/bvglqp
and what happens? You don't get a mediafire window showing in blue the two files? What do you get back?

regards - tom

spassvogel Mar 6th, 2009 01:40 PM

I managed as Irongir using the mpg1 file and viewed it in Windows Media.

Nice video! I would like to add that some of the sequences I would cut (editing) but for people who haven't been on safari yet it's certainly very interesting to give them an idea of "what safari means"
Only 4 weeks...........we won't make use of the bath tub ;-)

SV

cary999 Mar 6th, 2009 01:53 PM

Thanks SV, good to know it worked for you and how. Which scene(s) do you think are a bit long? I'd guess the one with the lion walking away from the vehicle while Patrick talks?

Only 4 weeks for you!! I wish!!! No tub for you? You wait until you get back from the afternoon game drive, after dark, the room is dimly lit. The bathroom is lit by candles and tub is half full of warm bubbly water. Then, come back here and tell me you didn't use the tub!!!

regards - tom

spassvogel Mar 6th, 2009 02:45 PM

Hi Tom

YES you got it right: The lion walking.........
I know the editing is nerve wreaking because it's so difficult to decide which one to leave out, which one short and so on. Editing is always a fight against oneself.

We (of course that's very bias;-)) found a nice way as I think - movements which don't lead to immediate "action" we cut as much as possible and finish with a close-up - mostly. Real "action" (hunt, fight, wrestling) we do a max. of 10/15 sec but IF necessary several in a row - edited.

As I sad it's depending on the purpose. If the DVD is for people who haven't been on safari: the sequences shown incl. explanation of the guide and driving is very interesting. For "safari colleagues" the shorter sequences might suit better.

Of course the lion roar is a MUST and cannot under any circumstances be cut. NO WAY!

Regarding the bath tub:
Amazingly on safari we are almost always in a kind of rush........
After brunch or late breakfast we do our "homework" like uploading, selection and deleting pics which are obviously rubbish. recharging etc. I do my paperwork. Then I have to have a nap - which I only do on safari! - in order to not fall out of the vehicle during the afternoon drive. Getting back to the lodge, rushing to the shower and back to the lounge for pre-dinner drinks followed by dinner. After dinner a nightcap in front of the fire (I hope they have one!) chatting to others for 30-45 min and back to the chalet rush for the bathroom and my bed.
In Germany I ALWAYS NEED desperately a sleeping aid. Not so in Africa. There I sleep link a log.

While I wrote the last paragraph I realised a feeling which can be described as happiness. I don't know whether other are areeing. But these couple of seconds produce a wonderful feeling of happiness "looking forward" to the next safari.

Isn't it amazing how little it needs to produce happiness....

Have a wonderful Friday evening!

SV

Irongirl Mar 6th, 2009 04:34 PM

SV is spot on! As a first timer, it gave me an idea of what information a guide might provide us, but as a seasoned veteran I could see where it might be cut.

spassvogel Mar 6th, 2009 04:41 PM

Irongirl
shot as much as possible! That's the clue! Editing is a huge task but provides you also with a wonderful deja vû!

I am sure you will get the bug and return for vacations on end.........it's inexplicable what hat continent does to visitors...

safe trip - and report please! But no money back guarantee ;-)

SV

cary999 Mar 6th, 2009 06:34 PM

I sure agree with you 100% SV. Even about the napping!!

I also make the DVD for myself as like an album of mementos. The only reason I have that lion scene (walking away part) is to have video for while Patrick is talking. The "real" DVD has similar lion roars by two other lions!!! I couldn't believe my luck that safari! Had not ever seen it up close ever before. Hope Patrick is there for you at Kings Camp, ranger Morne is also very into photography.

IG - How guides talk and interact with guest varies a lot guide-by-guide. They have a tough job, on their vehicle they may have first time safari guests who are thrilled when seeing impala to those like me who've been on around 150 game drives.

regards - tom