Safari Vehicles

Jun 20th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Safari Vehicles

Hello everyone,

I'm still tossing around my itinerary but was curious about what people think about different vehicles.

What is the difference between a pop-up top, a roll back top and other tops? What would you recommend and why?

Land Rovers or Land Cruisers?

Also, how many seats should we be looking for if its just by hubby and I?

Thanks for the help!
Jamie
Jun 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM

From your other thread, it appears you're going to Tanzania so maybe this will help http://www.kiliwarriors.com/safari_vehicles.htm (scroll down to safari vehicles)
Jun 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm sorry...how silly of me...we will be going to Northern Tanzania!

Thank you for the link!
Jun 20th, 2007, 05:00 PM

I have had roll-back and pop-tops and prefer pop-tops. Just my opinion.

And I don't care one way or the other re: Land Rovers vs. Land Cruisers, but it has been discussed (and debated!) here before.
Jun 20th, 2007, 06:22 PM

we had a removable top (it folded back and stored on top of the car. There were three rows of seats for just the two of us which worked well because we could store our stuff in the third row (or use it for different photo angles). One thing that would be very beneficial IF the need arises, is to make sure your truck has a tow chain. Two vehicles (one was ours) got stuck. The first event no one had a tow rope so they had to wait for the rangers to rescue them; the second (our vehicle), we had a tow rope and were quickly pulled out by one of the other safari vehicles.
Jun 20th, 2007, 07:58 PM

my favorite safari vehicle was the Willys jeep at Somalisa Camp in Zimbabwe. Almost ground level, small, quiet and can go anywhere, but don't think too many camps have those.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:12 AM
sniktawk

I also thought the Jeep in Somallisa was great but only for 2. It was actually a Japanese copy not the real thing! We had a Defender in Mana Pools with rear doors imagine not having to climb in. This would be more interesting if everbody nominated their worst vehicle, I will start with Kasanka in Zambia and Mwagusi, Ruaha.

Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:42 AM

I'll take the bait. Why Mwagusi, Ruaha?
Jun 22nd, 2007, 04:27 AM
sniktawk

Mawagusi has (or did have) Land Cruiser Bakkies (pick ups) with the equivalent of 3 two seater sofas. Sounds comfortable but was not at all, no leg room, lots of bar etc. The cab was still there with just the roof cut off, and the driving of Chris Fox added to the excitement! What's your worst vehicle?

Search this Thread