Safari Tour To East Africa

Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Safari Tour To East Africa

Has anyone used Friendly Planet to book an East African Safari? The prices seem good and the trip sounds great. We are taking our three children - 7, 10 , 13 who have traveled well to Europe (we live in SF area).
Aug 11th, 2004, 05:12 PM

did you book this trip. I am interested in another trip from friendly planet and want to know if they are any good.
Aug 12th, 2004, 03:24 AM
sandi

Haven't see the Friendly Planet name here on the board. Regardless with whom you choose to book, why not tell us what your itinerary looks like - time of year, countries, which parks, number of nights at each, name of accommodations (lodges/camps), additional sights/tours and whether in-country land or air transfers - we can then comment and make recommendations, if any needed.

Aug 12th, 2004, 12:00 PM

Message: We just committed for our first East African Safari for next June for our family including 3 boys ages 11-14. I researched many tour operators and ended up using Roy Safaris. We consider ourselves quite conservative and feel very comfortable withg Roy's. They have a strong reputation and offer very resonable rates. I would strongly consider checking them out.

Here is our itinerary:

June 18 - Depart Cedar Rapids, Iowa
June 19 - Morning arrival in Amsterdam. Overnight in Amsterdam.
June 20 - Evening flight to Nairobi
June 21 - Morning arrival in Nairobi. Transfer to Giraffe Manor for overnight.
June 22 - Flight to Amboseli. Overnight at Tortilis.
June 23 - Overnight at Tortilis.
June 24 - Drive to Namanga, continue to Lake Manyara Tree Lodge for overnight
June 25 - Lake Manyara Tree Lodge
June 26 - Drive to Ngorongoro Serena for overnight.
June 27 - Ngorongoro Serena
June 28 - Drive to Serengeti Serena for overnight.
June 29 - Drive to Kirawira for overnight.
June 30 - Kirawira
July 1 - Kirawira
July 2 - Flight to Arusha; depart to Amsterdam.
July 3 - Arrival in Amsterdam.
July 4 - Depart Amsterdam for Cedar Rapids.

Our total budget including international and internal air and all extras is $15,000 for our family of 3.

I have not come across Friendly Planet while researching on the internet, so I can't comment. There are so many options. I believe that this board is a tremendous resource for your research. I bet I spend an hour a day reading and re-reading posts here. I can't believe how much I've learned. I am so glad I didn't buy the first brouchure package that we were interested in. We are getting getting one of the big name (AK, Mikato, etc...) luxury packages for about 1/2 price! I also love the planning process - especially the game of trying to get the best deal I can. This message board saved me $15,000!!!

Search this Thread