Safari tour operator recommendation needed

Jul 1st, 2004, 07:54 PM
zfp
Original Poster

Safari tour operator recommendation needed

We are planning a Safari to Tarangire, L. Manyara, Ngorongoro, & Serengeti (4/5 nights) in mid Sept. 2004 and would like to hear about some personal experiences/recommendations with local Tanzanian tour operators such as Sunny Safaris, Roy Safaris etc.

Thanks,
Z
Jul 2nd, 2004, 01:59 AM

We used Roy Safaris for our trip to Tanzania in Sept. 2002 and will be using them again in a few months when we return to Tanzania. They were referred to us by a friend, who will be using them again when they return to Tanzania in Feb. 2005. Anyway, we found their service to be great. Questions were promptly answered and our entire trip was flawless. Their guides are knowledgable and their vehicles are in tip-top condition. Are they the least expensive of all the operators, maybe-maybe not, but the most important thing is the service they provide. The guides were always on time, which especially struck me because we heard from numerous other people that they were always "waiting" for their guides to show up. Roy Safaris is family operated and it shows. They have great respect for the environment, wildlife and, equally as important, their clients. If you had specific questions, I would be happy to answer them. You will have a fantastic trip!
Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:38 AM
sandi

I too would second Roy Safaris who get great reviews from posters here and from others I know who have used them, with thru a home country tour operator or if going direct to them.

One suggestion - since you a traveling mid September, you might want to consider a few days in the Masai Mara in Kenya where and majority of the Migration is taking place. The herds are in the Mara to late September, early October before heading back into the Serengeti. Consider a few days at the beginning of your itinerary in the Mara, then move into Tanzania with a stay at Tarangire (you can skip Lk. Manyara if you're set on the number of total days you have), then onto Ngorongoro, and then the Serengeti.

If you cannot arrange this, then be certain that your camps in the Serengeti are at the very northern top end, as the overflow of the herds creep back into the Serengeti in this area.

Enjoy your holiday.

Search this Thread