Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Safari to Africa (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/safari-to-africa-743118/)

SearchingforAfrica Oct 16th, 2007 07:53 AM

Safari to Africa

Hello, I'm interested to go on a Safari to Africa. Can you please recommend an Agency? I've heard about Micato Safaris and Big Five Tours, do you know which one has better reputation?? I appreciate.

ShayTay Oct 16th, 2007 08:14 AM

Do you have any idea where in Africa you want to go? I assume this is your first time, so I would suggest East Africa (Kenya or Tanzania), which is most like the "classic Africa" that you might picture. Once you decide on an area or country, you should then decide whether you want a private safari or a group tour. You have a choice of working directly with the safari operator in Africa or with a safari planner in your home country. Tour companies such as Micato are rather spendy, so you might find better deals with other companies or safari planners. Let us know where and what you're interested in, and we'll give you some recommendations.

I'm putting together a group to go to Kenya next September and have done similar group trips to Tanzania. I enjoy traveling with others, especially in East Africa, but have also done private safaris in southern Africa. There are pros and cons to each.

mkhonzo Oct 16th, 2007 08:16 AM

Both have been in business for many years and I believe earnt their stripes. You shouldn't be disappointed with either.

Reputation is relative, suggest you go with the agency that marries your budget with your interest.

bmueller Oct 16th, 2007 08:25 AM

Shay Tay,
I went to Kenya last year on safai through Collette tours - they were the cheapest I could find for luxury and they were incredible - of course I traveled solo so it cost me more than double occupancy we saw the Big 5 and then some.
Once you have been to Africa that is all you can think about - awesome!!!
Bobbie

SearchingforAfrica Oct 16th, 2007 08:30 AM

Well it is a trip that I'm going with my parents, for their anniversary, and we would love to go to Kenya. We are ok with group tours or privates, but it would be great to know which agency supplies the best accomodations. Thank you.

ShayTay Oct 16th, 2007 08:33 AM

Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) also has a couple of trips to East Africa. They use Kibo Guides for their Tanzania-only trip and Pollman's/Ranger Safaris for their combined Kenya/Tanzania trip. Because they get such good rates on airfare, their prices are hard to beat. Still, you're locked into their itineraries. Also, I've always had their Boston office mess up something on every trip I've done with them (3 times.) Once you're "in country", however, they have excellent ground operators.

ShayTay Oct 16th, 2007 08:34 AM

When are you thinking of going?

SearchingforAfrica Oct 16th, 2007 08:40 AM

Next year during the summer, but I appreciate to know what dates are great for the trip.

Patty Oct 16th, 2007 09:14 AM

Any agency or tour operator can book any accommodations of your choice in Kenya if you choose to go with a custom trip.

"Best" is relative but in general, group tours aren't going to put you into the very best accommodations available.

atravelynn Oct 16th, 2007 09:36 AM

Best dates—You have chosen some of the best months, but here are some sites that indicate what parks and locations are best during the time frame you have to travel.

http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

http://www.bornfreesafaris.com/best_travel.htm

Look at the links on the side for perfect safari during June, July or Aug
http://www.kiliwarriors.com/

Micato has an outstanding rep. Travel & Leisure has voted it World’s Best for 5 years in a row. Personally, I think you can get more safari for your money by designing your own trip and booking with a reputable agent. But I have never been on a Micato trip.

Check out Lynda’s index
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34860283
She has done 2 Micato safaris and has been thrilled. There is a current thread now that starts OHMYGOSH about her latest Micato trip. No report has ever stated anything bad about Micato.

Best accommodations—Micato uses mostly Serena, which are lovely lodges. If you want lodges, these are great; I’ve stayed at Serena properties. If best means smaller, less crowded luxury permanent tented camps with a more attentive staff, then Serena does not come out on top. But these smaller permanent camps are more expensive than Serena.

Micato also is a group trip. There are advantages and disadvantages to groups. You can very easily and economically design a private trip for 4 in East Africa. The private trip would not cost more than Micato.

JNG Oct 16th, 2007 11:33 AM

Bookmarking

brandywine Oct 16th, 2007 11:53 AM

ShayTay,

I'm just wondering why you would assume that "first timers" want to go to East Africa instead of Southern Africa? I did some amount of research before our first safari, and decided on South Africa with a short visit to Botswana. Before our second safari, I researched Tanzania more thinking it would be nice to try something different, even had an itinerary priced out, but then decided to go back to Botswana for a longer stay.

Perhaps I am the unusual one, I don't know, but after reading a lot of trip reports, I still haven't been "sold" on East Africa. The lack of off-road driving, more vehicles at sightings, and if going with a tour group, I assume more hotel like (Serena and Sopa) accomodations are not as appealing to me as the small camp, private concessions typical of Southern Africa.

I'm not trying to take away from the many people on this board that like East Africa, everyone has their own tastes. But suggesting or assuming that East Africa is best for first timers may be off base for some people.

sandi Oct 16th, 2007 11:57 AM

Best accommodations and luxury are different to each traveler. While the Serena lodges used by most tour operators, some consider these luxury, while others feel they're just a step above Motel 6. Different strokes...........

Micato gets excellent reviews, but as mentioned above, these are set group departure itineraries using what others would consider mid-price range lodges, i.e., mostly Serena Lodges. Likewise Big Five Tours has been around for years and is reputable, though there haven't been many threads here about this particular operator.

Then there is the question of what kind of budget you have estimated for 4 travelers, how many days in-country - what to pay per person?

If for your parents anniversay, which month? Or is their anniversary at some other time? That's still okay as you can celebrate at any time :) July and August, if this is when you are considering is peak-season in Kenya and is starting to book quickly, so it's suggested you figure out what you'd like to see: elephants, unique species, migration; stay in: lodges or tent camps (can be big or small/intimate); other activities: hot-air balloon, game walks/hiking; any interest in R&R at conclusion of safari?

What itinerary/ies have you see of interest? Post here, so we can comment.

ShayTay Oct 16th, 2007 12:15 PM

Hi Brandywine,

I always get that question or an argument when I post that comment. For first-time travelers to Africa, they often are expecting to see the classic, endless acacia plains and huge migration herds. East Africa is where you find that. Most of us here on Fodors know that the "trip of a lifetime" to Africa usually turns into your first of several trips. The experience of multiple vehicles at sightings or not going offroad for first-timers doesn't seem to be as big an issue as one might think. With that experience under their belt, going to Botswana or another southern Africa location with their private concessions and reserves would be a great second trip. Also, not everyone can afford Botswana; East Africa is still less expensive than most southern Africa destinations.

My two favorite countries for safari are Tanzania and Botswana, although I've had great experiences everywhere I've gone. You can find small, intimate accomodations in East Africa just as you do in southern Africa. I would suggest that you not cross East Africa off your list just yet. You're missing a great experience!

ShayTay Oct 16th, 2007 01:53 PM

Sandi and I were posting at about the same time.

If you'd like, I could send you the itinerary for my Kenya trip. It's tentative at the moment, as I'm waiting for my final confirmation and quote. As Sandi said, things are filling up fast. You could use it to compare to others you see. I prefer tented camps, but usually stay in a mixture of lodges and camps in East Africa. My e-mail is DIVEDIVE99 at aol dot com.

brandywine Oct 16th, 2007 02:18 PM

Shay Tay,

You might be right about the "look" of the landscape although I'm quite sure that I had no idea what an acacia plain was before I went on my first safari. I was most interested in seeing lions and leopards at close encounters which I guess led me to Southern Africa, although I enjoy all the plains animals, and took up some interest in birds on my second trip (Okavango Delta being great for that of course).
As far as the large migration herds are concerned, I have read a lot of Eben's posts and it seems that it defintely takes quite a bit of planning and knowledge of the camp locations, to try to "assure" you will be able to view the endless plains of animals for the few days you are there.

No, I have not written off East Africa, or a lot of other places in the world, if I had all the time and money necessary!

I don't want an argument, it's just that the poster initially seemed very vague about what she was looking for in a safari.

atravelynn Oct 16th, 2007 03:38 PM

I assumed East Africa was of interest because Micato was mentioned and they specialize in East Africa. I believe they also do a Botswana trip too. But SearchingForAfrica can let us know what area is of most interest.

Patty Oct 16th, 2007 03:54 PM

SearchingforAfrica mentioned Kenya in his/her second post.

ShayTay Oct 16th, 2007 04:04 PM

Certainly there is more to East Africa than the Migration. There is just so much wildlife everywhere you look (even birds...over 400 species in Amboseli alone.) Brandiwine, no arguments from me! I love Botswana, too, but I hope you'll go to East Africa some day. The cultural experiences there are also wonderful, something I miss when I go to Botswana and other southern Africa locations.

spiegelcjs Oct 16th, 2007 11:40 PM

ShayTay I would be interested in information about the trip you are putting together for September. Remember we met at Rocco's house and we had not as yet done our trip. Well it is now in my blood. My husband probably would not go but I am very interested. You can e-mail me directly at [email protected]