Safari - time of year

Jun 28th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Safari - time of year

My husband and I are considering a safari - due to job constraints we need to vacation in February or March - is that a good time to do a safari?? Not sure what "high" and "low" seasons are and what difference it might make with the animal sightings. Any info will be appreciated.
Jun 28th, 2005, 05:01 AM
sandi

Safari - but where? Which country did you have in mind? or just the one that may be best for those two months?

I'd say Tanzania, especially the Southeastern and Central Serenegeti where the wildebeest herds are "calving." This is a high season for the area and prices reflect this. As well, there are not all that many accommodations in/around the area. So it an area you want to pursue, I'd get working on it as soon as. To cover this Serengeti area you'd consider a Tanzanian Northern Circuit itinerary. And depending on the amount of time you have, you can also consider visiting the Masai Mara in Kenya.

Know your budget and I would suggest you contact an in-country outfitter, many of which are listed on this board. A search for "Tanzania tour operators" should bring up a few of these. One that does get good reviews is Roy Safaris. You can email them directly through their website: www.roysafaris.com - let them know what you're looking for - type of accommodations (lodges/camps); number of days you have, your budget and see what prices they come back with.

Hope this gets you started.

Jun 28th, 2005, 07:49 AM

I've been to Mala Mala in the Sabi Sand reserve of South Africa at that time of year a number of times. While there is the chance of rain, the grass is green, the bird life is excellent and Mala Mala has never failed to provide multiple Lion, Leopard, Cheetah and even Wild Dog sightings at that time of year.

www.malamala.tv
Jun 29th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses - you have given me a couple of websites as good starting points for my travel planning. I am sure I will have more questions once I start some research. If anyone knows of any other good websites for African Safari planning - please post. Thanks again.

Search this Thread